Consequences for soaking almonds after peeling them ?

To make almond milk I soak almonds for 24 hours and peel them. When I usually get to peeling them it’s near the end of the day when the kitchen is a giant mess. Plus since it takes me so long to peel them I don’t feel like doing much else afterwards. Would there be any consequence if I left the naked almonds soaking in a bowl until morning ?

Comments

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

I’ve peeled my almonds and put them in an airtight container many times without any ill effects. I don’t know that soaking them a second time is necessary. Sometimes I’ll go ahead and run them thru the blender then put the container in the fridge and finish up the next day.

I’ve done that many times without any ill effects. Sometimes I’ll go ahead and run them thru the blender then put the container in the fridge and finish up the next day.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Are you suppose to skin the soaked almonds??? I have never skinned the almonds, what are the repercussions of not skinning??? Thanks!!!

What is going on with our site tonight? All the double enteries and slow to get where you are going??? And all the “can not display” this page or whatever it says… Ideas anyone???

Skinning just yields a whiter product. Other than losing some of the fiber there are no repercussions! As for the slow site and the can not display messagss, I have no idea. I’ve been having the same problem since the new upgrades!

Thanks Kevin7197 for the great information, I sure feel better!!!

Pantyanda, I don’t believe I would spend time peelin or skinning the almonds since there are NO repercussions other than color… Seems it would be too time consuming to even consider!!!

• Hi Pantypanda,

I notice that if I mix in a pinch of sea salt to the soak water that the nuts are hydrated in about half the time it normally takes. I also think they absorb more water too, so that with a light pinch at one end of the almond … it just pops out of the skin. I usually pop them out while I watch a tv show and it’s done in no time. I have also left them peeled overnight in the water with no problems.

I usually peel them since I’m not sure if just soaking once gets out all the enzyme inhibitors that are in the skin.

Peace :o)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I read that almond skins are high in tannins and if ingested in high quantities can deplete your body of minerals. I sprouted, peeled, and dehydrated about 8 cupe of dry almond the other day for the first time and it was a time-consuming task.

• I find the almond milk is so much better made without the skins. Plus I start blending the almonds in a Vita-Mix at first with only a little water. Then I slowly add remaining water. No need to stain when done this way plus you get no leftover pulp.