SEEDS!

Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I was wondering, if most nuts are heated in some way (unless you buy them from a reputable raw source!) is it also a practice with pumpkin and sesame seeds etc…?

I bought some orgainic seeds and was just curious. They say raw, but I’ve been fooled before! -:(

Comments

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

I look for something that says they are suitable for sprouting. But sometimes the only way to find them is online. Recently I had to buy “raw” nuts from the store. Not sure wether they were REALLY raw or not, but I ate them. And the closest to raw I can find is better than roasted.

• SamiliciousSamilicious Raw Newbie

are nuts that come in shells still raw?

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I am not sure. But i am sure about pecans. The have to be dunked in boiling water, or they won’t come out of their shell!

I just don’t trust local supermarkets on the rawness of their nuts!

But do seeds have to be pasturized?

• Generally seeds like sesame, flax, sunflower, pumpkin, and chia are not heat treated or steamed in any way. I sprout many of these seeds any have not run into any that didn’t sprout. I’ve tested both commercial and organic ones and they always sprouted. Nuts on the other hand are harder to tell. Nuts like pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts, hazelnuts will not easily show a visible sprout contrary to Almonds.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Nuts in-shell are still raw. With pasteurized almonds, though, I’m not sure if they are pasteurized while they are still in-shell. I think they are, but maybe another member can clarify. I have heard on this site that pistachios in-shell have been heated treated, though, in order to crack open the shell. I guess pistachios are kind of an in-between example (in-shell, but cracked). There are truly raw pistachios available. :)