Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Raw Kimchi

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

just fyi.. I got this email back about sunja’s kimchi.. it is raw! made by a vt. company Hello- Thank you for your interest in our kimchi. We’re so glad you like it! Sunja’s Kimchi is not heated at all in our production process. The only thing I need to check on for you is the crushed red pepper. While we do not cook or heat our product at all, I will double check on what processing the crushed red pepper goes through. I will follow up with you.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance or if you have additional questions. Best- Melissa Leach Sunja’s Kimchi

Comments

• I know this topic was originally posted almost a year ago, but I have to write and say that - upon reading it - I placed my order with Sunja's and it recently arrived. I have to say... this stuff is delicious!!!! Best of all, it is 100% all natural, with no preservatives or fish sauce. From Vermont, they shipped it all the way to Albuquerque, New Mexico and it arrived as crisp and effervescent as good kimchi should. I highly reccomend this brand if you are not inclined to make your own! Good call kminty3!!!

• gratefultobegratefultobe Raw Newbie

Hah, I thought your name meant you were from Alb. I wont ask what school you teach at but I graduated from Rio Grande HS. Went to West Mesa when we first moved there. Anyhoo cant say I miss it but you know..probably just that time in my life. My folks still live there so we get back once in awhile. Gosh, used to love Little Anitas back in the day!!! lol

• ddigiacomoddigiacomo Raw Newbie

what is kimchi again?

Its a jarred, spicy, fermented napa cabbage. I tried it recently and it just was not for me. I didnt like the Bubbies pickles either tho so I think I'm just not a fermented girl. I love raw napa.

humm, i make my own sauerkraut and I make my own kombocha. I think I may like this.

Thanks!

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

I tried the Bubbies saurkraut and it was OK but nothing great, but that wouldn't put me off from trying others. I haven't tried kimchi yet, but open to it!

Where can i purchase sunja's kimchi?

oopse I found it, I spelled it wrong the first time.

• Hey Mary! Yep, I teach. In fact, I teach 4th and 5th grade in Rio Rancho. I moved here in 2003 from Denver; I keep telling people the wind just kinda blew me here. If it keeps up, I may end up in Juarez! You probably don't miss the monsoon season, eh? Well, there are still no raw food places here. (Do you hear that folks -- none in Albuquerque New Mexico, can you believe it?!?!) Yes, we're missing out on a lot of things here... that's why we have to special order the good stuff, like kimchi from Vermont. Little Anita's, by the way, now boasts 7 locations around town. When you visit your folks, you may just have to pop by. I'd love someone to uncook for or eat with!!!!

• Hey David!

I hope you like the kimchi. Like I said, it is good stuff from Sunja's. It arrives very crisp still -- I think they must use some other type of cabbage besides Napa. It's great to hear that you make your own Kombucha tea. I used to do that, but grew tired of what seemed like an ongoing chemistry experiment in my kitchen. I miss doing it myself though, as the bottled stuff in the store doesn't quite taste like the homemade version. I wish I could get a starter mushroom around here! (See the above post about life in Albuquerque references...)

I didn't use a starter mushroom. I purchased a bottle of Kombucha and used that as my starter. You can also use ACV, I acutally added some to my brew. It was good but you are correct it tastes nothing like the one from the store. Do you have a kimchi recipe?

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I believe my kim chee recipe is on here... Type it into the search button and see what comes up... BTW, mine is crispy and I used regular green cabbage with beets, carrots, onions and chili powder then vacuumed sealed it in canning jars... NO heat ever saw my kim chee and it is wonderful, YOU will enjoy making it... Made mine in a 5 gallon crock... Happy fermenting!!!

ABQNick, Yes, Yes, YES. (sorry it took so long to reply, had to go back 6 pgs) That would be super and thank you! Just a matter of when we go next. It's a little scary that there seems to be a need for what you really want to be doing. Hmm, I have a good feeling about this...