Just joined and loving the energy

grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

Hi to everyone. I’m a new member and just wanted to I’m enoying the recipes. Everyone’s stuff is great. I’ve been posting a few myself and everyone seems to like my stuff so I will keep posting and visiting.

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

hi grassdude, i read your profile. cool stuff! it’s so amazing to hear about the healing that has taken place. if you ever feel like blogging about wheatgrass (how to grow, how to juice, etc etc) please do. i’d love to get into it.

• grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

There are some great books by Ann Wigmore and Steve Myerowitz on growing wheatgrass I would recommend, but here are the basics I use. I grow it on my porch that gets indirect sun, perfect for wheatgrass. You can grow it in the house near a window that gets indirect sunlight. You can grow it in nursery flats that you can get for free at a nursery or home depot, but I bought some plastic trays from wheatgrasskits.com that I prefer.they are pretty cheap. With the nursery flats, you have to put newspaper on the bottom so it is a little more work. The medium is half Canadian Sphagnum peat moss and half organic topsoil that has no animal products in it.You can add some vermiculite to the mix if you like. Soak 1 cup of organic wheat seeds with pure water in a large jar for about 8-10 hours or overnight Rubber band a piece of plastic screen on the top of the jar for rinsing. .After soaking, pour out the water and rinse the seeds. Put in a dark place and rinse at least twice a day for 2 or 3 days until the seeds start to sprout.Put about 1 1/2 inches of soil mix in a tray and get it nice and wet. Now spread the seeds evenly on top of the soil in a single layer. Cover with wet newspaper and a plastic garbage bag. After about three days or when the grass is about 1/2 inch tall, remove the newspaper and garbage bag and water as needed. Let it grow for 3 or 4 days more or until it is about 7 inches tall. Cut with scissors close to the root. To juice, use a low speed wheatgrass juicer. The manual ones start pretty cheap about $45. I have a Green Life Electric, they cost about $400, but it does everything and I have had mine for about 8 years. If you don’t have a wheatgrass juicer, it is good to just chew it, but you probably won’t get as much quantity. You have to chew quite a bit to get an oz or 2 of juice. Hope this helps. It’s really easy once you get a routine going and well worth it. I believe wheatgrass is the ultimate miracle. Get some books by Ann Wigmore, Steve Myerowitz, etc. Hope this helps you get started.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I’ve got those nursery flats from growing sunflower seed sprouts. So now I can use them for wheatgrass. I can purchase the peat moss and top soil – I should check for vegan topsoil, good thinking. I’m glad you mentioned to soak and then sprout for a couple days before spreading it out, I didn’t know to do that. Instead of juicing, I’ll put the wheatgrass in a vitamix and make a green smoothie. Thanks a million for the explanation! I can’t wait to get started… I’ll update with my progress. I’ve actually never tried wheatgrass, and I wonder what the health benefits will be. Great post, thanks again!

• I love the recipes that are posted I hope that eventually some where down the line I can contribute some.