Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

darn vegetables giving me gas lol

So I love asparagus and broccoli, but they make me feel sooo bloated!!! who else??

Comments

• juicyjuicy Raw Newbie

MEEEEEE! broccoli, as much as I love it, makes me feel so bloated and gassy. I have given it up ;o(

• roxiroxi Raw Newbie

I know what you mean!! I can eat all the fruit I want and not have any problems, but if I add say two handfulls of carrots, I’m gassy for the rest of the day! ugh! I hate it. And it smells so bad….haha

• I feel your pain – will it ever go away? green smoothies make me bloated and feel pain in my tummy. Any advice?

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

LisaNewf: Maybe digestive enzymes can help you with your tummy troubles. I think all the fiber might take your body some getting used to.

heyitsmahsa: You can try massaging the veggies with Himalayan Crystal Salt/Celtic Salt or a combo of lemon juice and olive oil to break down the fibers. Or blend them into your green smoothies! :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

making “slaws,” or “rice” in the food processor with hard to break-down veggies are helpful for me. but yeah, you can’t eat them all the time…

i make a salad with asparagus cut into tiny matchsticks. it marinates in lemon juice, olive oil and a little salt and pepper. the marinade breaks it down and makes it easier to digest.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

are you guys talking about adding these veggies to green smoothies? if so, try leafy greens instead. the green smoothie was designed to be a pretty good food combo since greens aren’t a veggie. but veggies + fruit can cause gas.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

piannissima – good idea with the asparagus. Marinading them will probably improve the texture too. yeah, avoid mixing fruit and veg. maybe that will help.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

raw broccoli gives me a tummyache too.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

I’ve been reading up more on food combining, and here’s what I found.

Raw cruciferious veggies can be eaten with low sugar fruits like bell peppers or cucumbers.

I guess the reason why broccoli can cause problems is because it’s bound up in fiber more than other veggies. However, you might want to try the broccoli with green leafy veggies and oils. For some people, they work well with avocado and olives.

I have a more general question about how to categorize broccoli and asparagus. I’m a little confused about this. Victoria Boutenko categorizes them both as greens in her book Green For Life. That’s why I use them in my green smoothies. However, should they be considered true vegetables instead? Obviously, they’re not “leafy”, but are they greens anyway?

Also, I know you’re not supposed to combine fruits with starchy veggies like carrots, but are broccoli and asparagus starchy?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)