Need Earth Day Ideas!

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Hey all.. I am in charge of the very small “green committee” at my very ungreen workplace. I would like to do something for earth day.. maybe some sort of challenge or just something to get everyone excited. I was thinking (just read diet for a new america) about some kind of no meat for a week challenge and provide info about vegan lifestyle/better for enviro but I doubt people would do it.. any thoughts?

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Our company is doing a Fruit and Veggie Challenge. I think August is Fruit and Veggie month. The goal is to eat 5 fruits/veggies a day.

When is earth day? Bike-to-work day is in May.

How about a walking challenge… what kind of funds or help is your workplace provide you with? Our company is currently doing a Physical Challenge. You get 1 point for every 10 minutes you work out… and in so many weeks you are supposed to accumulated 80 points to be entered for a chance to win money. Like $1,000 or $50. Of course, we get to fill out are data online through some 3rd party company… (long story).

A few people where I work are also doing a “biggest loser”. Which is not really ‘fair’ because not every one can participate. That needs to be considered.

Another idea is to have a speaker come talk at your work place. Maybe the “Laughing Yoga” guy… (don’t know him, just heard about him… and not my “thing” either). Or, bring in a vegetarian chef (yes, cooking) to teach how to make vegetarian/vegan meals… and have some samples!

Just some ideas…

So, why do you recommend reading a book… would it be like a book club type meeting/committee.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

congrats on your title!

reading Diet for a New America would certainly be a good idea… i’m not sure how you could MAKE people read it though…

i think people may get intimidated by “vegan” or “vegetarian.” i always recommend to people that they consume LESS animal products and see what they can come up with to substitute things in their diet. having a chef come in would be super-inspiring.

PETA offers a veggie starter kit. you could order one for everybody.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

thank you those are great ideas! I didn’t mean to make it sound like I wanted everyone to read diet for a new america I just am inspired by it and would like people to have some of that knowledge and then consume less animal! I will look into the peta kit and the fruit and veg/challenge is a great idea