Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Cure Diabetes with raw food

grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

I

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I’m so happy for you! I hope you can be an inspiration to others. Because I am trying to cure or alleviate some of my health problems through raw foods, this is encouraging to hear. Thanks.

• grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

Vegetable juices, wheatgrass juice, salads and fruit smoothies have been the key for me. You start feeling too good to be sick.

gabriellegreen
  • IS there a specific program you are following, or winging it? I am very interested! I saw you recently posted a recipe with lots of high carbs fruits. Can you now eat that without a raise in BS????

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Ingredible that your blood sugar dropped in just one month! I’m always amazed that raw food really helps diabetes. It’s almost too good to be true, that something this simple could really cure so many things. Vegetable juices sound very healthy – I should try that.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Grassdude, Bitt and Hippie Chick, in 2003 I had several terrible diagnosis… CHF, COPD, Anemia, HBP and type 2 diabetes… By incorporating exercise and changing my eating habits, I no longer have those problems… First I had to pay close attention to the response of my fingersticks to what I had eaten… Kept a meal diary with the nutritional information for each item… (A lot of work) and the reading of the meter… I was able to figure out that white foods were just as bad as sugar… Bananas and pineapple are the fruits to avoid as they have the highest sugar/carb concentration… Same problems with white potatoes… Became vegetarian and the finally raw last Oct… My weight reduced along with all the other diagnosis long before going raw… Going raw has increased my energy level and I have a wonderful feeling of helping our environment as well as myself!!!

ALL MY LAB WORK IS NOW NORMAL!!! Except COPD and that isn’t diet related, second hand smoke and some chemical spills at work are the culprits… It will be with me always, but I believe the raw diet will help to detox my lungs and that can’t be bad!!!

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

Hi

Yes, raw food can cure diabetes. Google the book ‘Yes, There is a Cure for Diabetes.’ by Dr Gabriel Cousens. I think it’s out now.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Hey Waterbaby, I had to respond… Congrats on your amazing progress!

I wanted to just say re: COPD.

99% of your body is less than a year old. Which “me” are you referring to when you say “with me always”? Your body is rebuilding itself daily according to your beliefs and if you continue to believe this about COPD, you will be right.

I recommend “Ageless Body, Timeless Mind” by Deepak Chopra. It helped me to shed me fixed beliefs about my health including believing in “permanent damage” which I now know is ridiculous. Also check out Change Your Mind at http://www.purelyraw.com/changeyourmind.htm .

Lovebows, Chris

gabriellegreen
  • grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

I’ve been monitoring blood sugar and amazingly fruit and carbs do not cause a rise in my blood sugar. I do not have a fixed routine of what to eat, I eat foods that I enjoy and make me feel good. Number 1 is vegetable juices- kale, carrot, spinach, celery, parsley, amd first and wheatgrass. Fruit smoothies, nutmilk shakes, salads with lots of homegrown sprouts including sunflower greens, alfalfa, broccoli and radish. Dressing could be lemon tahini, cider vinegar olive oil and herb combinations. I just made a dressing with sprouted sunflower seeds, lemon, orange juice and dill and flax seed oil. Awesome!. I got the recipe from a book but I tweaked it a bit. It could be used as a sauce as well as a dressing. When I get hungary I eat a little heavier stuff like almond butter with dehydrated raw bread, and seed pate sushi. I ordered an Excalibur Dehydrator, I know this will add to the repetoire. Oh yeah, I just started really getting into papaya. Check out my post for the papaya smoothie. You can use the plain jane big Mexican papayas and turn it into a scrumtious health bonanza. Papaya is high energy stuff.I could go on and on. I read raw books and get ideas and usually change the recipes around. Other recipes are my own or ideas I got from eating at health food restaurants. . .

• stylistchickstylistchick Raw Newbie

wow! i had similar results when i first started. sounds like you’re on the right path. i found that as long as i stayed about 95% raw, my insulin needs dropped ALOT. after being raw for about 4 months, i think i got bored and started to introduce some gluten free cooked foods, and once again my blood sugar shot through the roof.

now i’m back and feeling waaay better. i’ve done some research on foods and herbs that will help to lower sugar levels. if you can find jerusalem artichokes, they are supposed to be amazing for diabetes. it was edgar cayce’s remedy. they taste a little like a potato when they are cooked, raw they taste like a water chesnut. also swiss chard (red chard) cumin seed, cinnamon, and fenugreek. there is also an herb called gymnema sylvestre which has been used for thousands of years in india to treat diabetes.

oh, and if you can get a hold of jeruselem artichokes (also called sunchokes) put one in the ground they are very easy to grow and the greens are edible too. edgar cayce’s reccomendation was usually about 3 per week depending on the severity of diabetes. it has something called inulin in it, which is like plant insulin. good luck! i can’t wait to hear of your progress, it will inspire me to keep up the fight as well!

• This is all such useful stuff…thanks all. I have been Type 1 for over 20 yrs.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Way to go, Grassdude!!! One of my patients is doing this after reading Dr. Cousens’ book. He has been able to relate the same—the fruits and veggies do not raise his sugar, but if he has any meat or dairy the sugar spikes—the exact OPPOSITE of what the medical community is telling these people to do. remarkable. Thank you for sharing the proof—bloodwork.

chriscarlton, Thanks so much, I never gave much though to my pulmonary problem desolving, but I will now!!! Mind over matter and a raw lifestyle will be my code of ethics…

chriscarlton, Thanks so much for the encouraging words and resources!!! I spent most of today on your purelyraw site, excellent job!!! Your photos tell “the real story” about lifestyle changes… YOU RAWAK!!!

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

I too am now imagining it desolving and I am imagining your new heathy lung cells multiplying and growing! It’s funny, I actually see little lung cells with smiley faces, popping up everywhere inside you. It’s quite a lovely picture, they are all pink and healthy as they appear like magic. I am sending you my intention with my thoughts and this bit of written words. Love and Support to you! Death to COPD! Long Live Waterbaby!

Chris, Thanks to all your beautiful thoughts and energies you are sending me!!! Now I have a question… All this congestion and terrible sounding cough I am currently dealing with is worse than I have ever had… I feel wonderful but sound 190 yrs old with emphysemia!!!

Could I be detoxing my bronchials? Or like you said, the new cells are pushing out the old ones… Any ideas? I know I hope all this junk is gone soon!!!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

waterbaby and chriscarlton – I looked up this post because of diabetes, but I have had problems with my lungs for a long time (I suspect from secondary smoke, too) – your comments and energies have started smiley cells popping up in my lungs as I read this, and are bringing tears of joy to my eyes! :) I needed that

Oh angie, I am so happy for you too!!! Smiley cells abound… GRIN

p.s.I love all your recipes!!!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

angie~ Whenever the body gets what it needs, it will repair, maintain and protect itself. That is the basis of survival! We have yet to know the limits of what the body is capable of doing if given the proper tools in the form it understands… nutrition and other healing modalities. Just because you haven’t seen it or heard of it happening, doesn’t mean that it can’t be done… it’s simply the person hasn’t found the right combination of tools. I have spoken with lots of people who were told “there is nothing that can be done” and defied that edict. Keep exploring. Keep learning.

However, we are all aware of the limits of what the body can do when given synthetics and the like.

Consider, there is no such thing as “cure.” If one has a sore on a finger, one could cut off the finger and “cure” that finger from never again ever having a sore (one also has one less finger). However, the person hasn’t addressed the cause of the sore. A sore can pop up anywhere else in the body cause by the same source… sometimes in the same form, sometimes in a different form. The sore is the body’s way of saying something is wrong and the body has not gotten what it needs to fix it.

Much healing and learning energy to everyone.

• My son has Type 1 diabetes (diagnosed a year and a half ago). About a month ago, we did a 3 day juice feast, followed by raw foods. We sort of followed guidelines by Gabriel Cousens. His insulin levels dropped by around 1/3. I wa happy. But little by little, his insulin levels have been creeping back up. We haven’t stuck to the 100% raw (it is hard, because his dad is not cooperative). In the past two weeks, he has grown about 2 inches. I think that his growth spurt is just starting.

I don’t know if his insulin needs are going up because we are not going about this the right way or if this is due to his growth spurt? Any suggestions? Words from the wise are welcomed.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I have type 1 diabetes, and I use less insulin (about 1/3) when eating raw than when I eat cooked foods, even if the cooked foods are “healthy” – i.e. steamed veggies, whole grains, etc. For me, staying raw is the key.

• I had type 2 diabetes but after 5 months raw it was gone. I learned that after finally getting up the courage to go back and see my doctor. I also no longer had high blood pressure and had lost 35 pounds. I can now eat fruit and even dates in moderation. Waterbaby, I am so glad to see you back on goneraw now. Hope you are doing well.

• stefan641stefan641 Raw Newbie

Hello everybody. Rosehebrew, my mother has type 2 diabetes, also hepatits C and some kidney problems. Can you please tell me what foods did you eat in those 5 months? Did you eat lots of fruit or just a small amount? Thank you

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I'm curious about what the diet looks like too. I assume sugars are limited, but are there other healthy foods added in that specifically target a body that needs to get back in balance and heal?