resturant/bar need help

sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

Okay, I am REALLY trying to move toward being more raw. It is really hard when I go to restaurants. I get the salad, but then I cheat, and have some regular salad dressing. I’m finding that if I CHEAT, then I cheat more, and then some more.. Well, this weekend, my husband and I are going out with his friends for a birthday. We will be in the bar having drinks. It is for a 21st birthday I guess. I REALLY enjoy drinking myself, although I don’t do it too often. Not to mention, that we will be going to my absolute FAVORITE place to eat. I almost don’t want to go, so I am not tempted, but my husband won’t go if I am not there. It is sort of a couples thing too. AH. Oh, and I haven’t met all the people, so I am worried about looking like a snob. Maybe everyone will be drinking, and they won’t notice that I am not eating? LOL OOOOOH, I can get some avocados there.. Maybe I’ll order an avocado. LOLOLOL Yes, and avocado, and five glasses of alcohol… Another weakness. I am such a social drinker. I’m trying to decide if I should just drink some anyway. I’m too ambivalent right now. What would a good raw foodie do??

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Call ASAP and see if you can arrange to have a raw meal made for you (a pre-order). Some chefs/restaurants are open to accommodating patrons with special requests and some are not… If they have a bar (or the kitchen) with a blender, see if they will make you a smoothie for dinner if they won’t make you a special meal. Otherwise, bring your own food…

• Choose a salad dressing from this site, and use it as your dressing. But I’ve noticed when I do that, I get real bored real quick. Usually because the restaurants don’t have extravagant salads like I’d make at home. But socially if you’re looking to camoflage yourself (which it sounds like you’re trying to do), then go the bring-your-own-dressing route. Also, for drinks, bring some fresh squeezed OJ with you or something that excites you, and sip on it pre-meal. That’s what I do. I understand that you can’t ditch this event. So that’s EXACTLY what I would do…either bring a dressing, or bring my own food. If you happen to make your own food, you might be entertained and satisfied by the questions you’ll encounter from the cooked foodies there…and you can introduce people to some amazing raw food info! Always a plus ;) Good luck…have FUN!

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

First of all, don’t feel guilty no mater what happens. You said you you were “trying to move toward being more raw”. I believe you! I took over 3 years to transition to 100%. If you want to, you will get there. I bet if you compare this year to last, you’ve made great progress. Keep up the good work!

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I don’t eat at restaurants but if I was going to one, I would sneak in some raw food staples like a good salad dressing or sauce, avocado and olives. maybe some buckwheat flat bread.

• You didn’t say that you were 100% raw. Eat and drink at the restaurant if you wish. Changing your eating habits is always a transition. Try not to feel guilty about it. I’m not 100% raw, I just follow my body, it usually tells me what I am missing. Eat and drink, just try not to over indulge. Most importantly, enjoy yourself and have fun.