Gone Raw folks in France?

kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Ray and I are heading over to France for a couple weeks (April 30 to May 12) and will visit Paris, Nice and Arles. We’re curious to know if there are any folks from Gone Raw in these areas and if you’d have recommendations for our travels and eating!

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Although I am not from there, I just visited this past summer to Nice and Paris. We were just interested in vegan food but ate a lot of raw food while we were there. The farmer’s markets are amazing…you could have a feast on all the yummy produce.

We looked on happycow.net for restaurant recommendations and health food stores. We went to a health food store called “biocoop” and then got a book of all the “biocoops” in France. This was very helpful as we were in Provence and found some in small little towns.

The hardest thing for us was our stomachs were on a different time zone and we often were hungry when the normal restaurants were closed. Brasserie food is not as healthy as typical restaurant fare, although most restaurants offer a good salad (better than most places in US). So plan ahead basically and don’t wait for lunch.

Oh the other thing that was helpful was to have a small dictionary with you (more than just a traveler’s dictionary) for looking up the words on the menus. Although a lot of people speak English, you may want to screen a place based on the menu outside and looking up words is a must if you have food restrictions.

It is a beautiful place to travel and I wish you loads of luck (on staying raw). I have a wheat allergy and I did not eat any bread so I had to plan very carefully. let me know if you have any more questions.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i grew up in southern france. i’m going to live vicariously through you because i’m not going back this year.

bitt had some great suggesions. i noticed your metro photo earlier! =)

things you’re gonna love:

—the farmer’s markets are called “le march

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Merci! We’re staying in Rue Cler while in France and I am really looking forward to the markets there – open 6 days/mornings a week, I’ve heard. I’m looking forward to the amazing produce. I just had my first French lesson (learning a couple phrases to assist with travels).

binn, do you have a favorite travel dictionary? I have a couple phrase books, but they are fairly basic.

pianissima, I thought about taking the train to Avignon from Arles. It sounds like an amazing city.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

as far as a dictionary, i just borrowed the one from the house we were at. I would just get a small one. my bookstore had quite a few options.

avignon is wonderful. we spent a day there but wish we had spent longer. we did some olive oil tasting around st. remy which was really fun.

yep we skipped most restaurants and ate out of the biocoops and markets. those markets are the best!

• Kandace, my husband and I want to go to France within the next year or 2. I’m curious—will you be taking utensils and a mini blender with you in order to prepare the food you purchase “dans les marches en plein aire”? Also, will you be sampling any non-raw dishes at all? I’ve been there before I went raw, and have to say the food is truly amazing. I’ve gone back and forth with it in my mind regarding travel, especially as my hubby is not raw or vegetarian. I think the food issue is a lot easier when you have a united front!