Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

jogging and stuff

Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

So I’ve been trying to shed some poundage lately, and have taken up jogging every day in addition to limiting my intake of foods like nuts and dried fruits.

I usually do 100 situps, some pushups (I have weak arms so I can’t do too many), and I jog for sometime between 20 to 30 minutes.

Also, maybe once a week I do Bikram’s yoga. It depends on how my schedule looks that week.

Will this be effective if I keep it up? What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Advice?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

in my experience exercise keeps me level-headed and toned, but i haven’t found it to be a weight loss tool. how and what i eat really affects my weight.

i think it’s a good idea to moderate dried fruits and nuts, but (assuming they are really raw) only if you don’t go replacing them with cooked foods. i think the most important thing is to keep your raw diet as exciting as you can. so variety is an important consideration. eating ALL raw really does shed the pounds over time. if you start giving up the stuff you really like then you lose motivation to stay raw. (that’s what happened to me anyway).

also, if you are looking for a whole-body workout, try finding a yoga studio that does at least a challenging 1-hour vinyasa class. lots of sun salutions get you sweating up a storm. sweating helps clean out the cells, which combined with your “cellular diet” will help you shed pounds. does your gym have a sauna??? that works great too.

• I used to be a runner…but lately I’ve found walking works better for me…it doesn’t increase my appetite as much but I go 6 miles so it still burns a fair amount of calories (probably 500…I do it at incline). I also do yoga once a week…beginner’s haha, I am SO weak and really inflexible so it’s still a challenge 5 weeks into it. I pretty much stopped all nuts/dried fruits bc I could eat them forever and they make me feel like crap. I’ve been gettng my fat in through oils and avocados. I haven’t been hungry at all actually, and I’m definitely not eating too much. I’ve been losing 1-2lbs a week, it’s awesome! *plus exercise is good for stress

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

Thanks, Liz!

I’m trying to do the same thing, food wise, even though today I ate an entire thing of dried figs. I’d never even had dried figs before, who knew they were so good. Its funny how I NEVER eat dried fruit until the day I decide to not eat dried fruit. I make myself laugh.

Anyways, thanks for the input!

And pianissima, thanks also for the tips. I’m not replacing nuts and dried fruits with cooked foods, I’m avoiding those as much as possible which is almost all the time. Variety is a good tip too, I frequently tend to buy the same foods all the time.

I don’t go to a gym, but I do belong to a yoga studio. They only do Bikram’s yoga there though, which I am fine with because I’ve heard that Bikram’s is the most challenging yoga and burns the most calories.

Thanks bunches!

• JoyceHJoyceH Raw Newbie

Slosh-uh – yeah Bikram yoga rocks! It’s the only yoga done in 100+ F temperatures and it’s the best work out I’ve ever encountered. I’m on my third week of getting back into it again and it definitely burns a ton of calories. See if you can go more than once a week. I read on one website that a 140 lb woman will burn 936 calories during the 90 minutes. But also my advice would be to lay off the nuts, raw sweats and raw gourmet recipes that are just loaded with calories. Just have that stuff once in a while if you want to shed a few lbs.

From your photo, you don’t look like you need to loose weight.

Thanks Joyce!

Its been super hard for me to get the motivation to go back to yoga, but I think that the thought of 936 calories is pretty good motivation.

• 936 calories! i’ve only done one session, loved it, and promptly never went back. i belong to a gym, which i haven’t been to in two or three weeks (i was out of town for at least one of those weeks.)

but yeah, all that running/calisthenics will help you lose weight. and yes, you do look pretty skinny in that photo. i’m going to assume that’s a skinny photo and you want to lose weight to get back to that weight, rather than lose more weight than that. that’s the case with me (i’m not as skinny as my photo, i admit it…)

I’m not too much heavier now than I am in that picture, I just have a few extra pounds I’ve put on since then that I’d like to lose.

I think we all like to put up our skinny pics :P

• Jogging daily for atleast 20 minutes is great. I try to start my day with a job around the block. Also weekly yoga is important for health mentally and physically so it’s great that you’re into that, I’ve been going weekly to the same studio and sometimes do tapes at home.

For me to get rid of some winter weight I’ve been trying to go to my local gym more. I know what you mean every year some lbs gather from the winter season. Good luck it seems like you’re losing it a healthy way unlike many I know.