Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is it my dehydrator?? My food sucks.

sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

It seems that all of my dehydrated food has a weird smell to it. It doesn’t even matter what I’m making. It all smells similar, and the smell makes me want to throw up. Is it my dehydrator maybe? I have an older ronco dehydrator. It does not have a fan in it, only vents on the top and bottom. I just made some flax bread, and it has a weird smell to it. Will the smell go away if I let it sit outside of the dehydrator? Does anyone else have a similar issue? I’m going to purchase an excalibur when I get some extra cash. I’ll still be pissed though, if my food still smells odd.

Comments

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

It’s hard to say what the problem is since each food behaves in a different way. It could be the food was prepared improperly before dehydrating. My first thought though is the dehydrator itself. This type of dehydrator has alot of disadvantages ie: no fan for circulation and a fixed temp. I own an Excaliber and I’m extremely happy with the results so I wouldn’t be afraid of buying one if I were you!

• I have an excaliber and my food does not smell the same and usually it makes the whole house smell fantastic. Of course, it depends what you are making… I have made some things that smell nasty and did in fact make me want to throw up… but that was the recipe not the machine. So unless you are always trying out the same recipe I would get a new machine. Have you cleaned it really well? Maybe there is something gross hiding in there somewhere? Good luck!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I think it is your dehydrator – no fan? no good. You really need a fan. A dehydrator should have a fan and a heater. The purpose of it is to blow warm air around. Like kevin said, you need circulation.

What does your dehdyrator have? Just a heating element? If so, it is not any different than a little oven.

Yeah, sorry, it is probably your dehydrator. Your food should smell wonderful when dehydrating.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I have the same problem with my L’Equip Rectangular Dehydrator.

• Food is probably fermenting before getting dried. Can happen even in a dehydrator with a fan like the excalibur. Flax crackers need to be flipped over as soon as manageable to avoid going sour when they are sitting on a non stick surface.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I agree with Rawnutrition.ca. Don’t let things sit too long on that nonstick sheet, it won’t allow them to dry quick enough. My stuff always smells really nummy!! Tastes nummy too!! :)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I had this happen when i didn’t quickly flip flax crackers when dehydrating – they went sour. i had this happen another time when i used a bad recipe. now, i’ve got a couple recipes i like – corn crackers, nut crackers – and they came out well, no more smelliness. i use an excalibur.