Need help with mung sprouts

grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

I grew mung sprouts in one of Steve Myerewitz’ sprout bags and they taste ok, but they are kind of curled up and have long roots. How do you grow them to grow like the commercial ones straight and without roots or leaves?

Comments

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

I sprout them in jars, plates and now in sproutes, they grow curly the first days and then they grow more straight. They have not roots or leaves… how long do you sprout them? Perhaps it is due to a long time…

• I think it’s the weights that keep them straight – From my sproutpeople brochure:

When rinsing, try not to mix them up – they’ll produce bigger roots if they stay together.

A great trick to increase the size of your Mung bean sprouts: Soak them on day 3 in cool water. Just submerge the sprouter or fill it w/ water for 15-20 minutes and then rinse/drain.

We apply weight to the sprouts while they grow, but the roots will also plump up if the sprouter is somewhat over crowded. Also, more than any other sprout, mungs prefer darkness, it keeps their roots white.

ginger

• As mentioned darkness and crowded together is important. In a bag they’ll never look like the commercial ones. A flat based sprouter like the FreshLife will acheive results similar to the commercial ones.