Grow an Indoor Garden

My mother-in-law planted a few cabbage seeds a couple of weeks ago. She just poured all of them into a long pot w/soil, and let them grow. Earlier this week, she gave them to me to replant a few of the strongest ones, and eat to the remaining ones. I can only describe the taste of those baby leaves as being young, sweet and fresh. It made me hungry to plant more. I replanted about seven babies, and wished that I’d had the room to plant a whole garden. Thus began my new obsession with learning to garden. When I think of the fact that someone else is controlling the food that we eat, I literally feel sick to my stomach (read about Codex if you haven’t already.) I want my daughter to know what real food tastes like. Food that she has taken the time to care for and grow. In my search, I have found a fabulous site at gardengirltv.com… She shows city dwellers how to have a garden in their own homes: http://www.gardengirltv.com/gardening.php#indoor

Now, can anyone teach me about sprouting?

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i am really nervous to start planting anything major cause i’m not around a lot… so i have herbs and sprouts. sprouts are easy-peasy! if i can do it, so can you! =)

i ordered some from thesproutpeople.com but if your local health food store sells seeds that would be cheaper.

here’s what i do: i place 2 tablespoons in a mason jar and cover with water, put them on my pantry shelf (in the dark) at night and rince them off in the morning. you need a wire mesh for the lid with a rubber band (or glue a circle of the mesh on the inside of the “lid” (with no top). i leave them on the window sill and rinse them again the next morning. so it becomes a morning routine. wake up. brush teeth, rinse sprouts, make a juice…

once they are green they are good to eat.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Thanks LEAFLOWERS2, that was a great link. I learned alot from that.

• Wow yeah great link. I hope I can start my own little indoor gardening project.

• yeah I know what you mean leafflowers…i had raw burritos recently wrapped in greens that were from the farmers market. and then another day from the “organic” section in safeway…both were green leaf lettuce, but both tasted ENTIRELY different.

i am moving this month and i think i found an apartment with ample space for me to plant all of the things i recently bought [and was about to plant at a friends house]...zucchini, strawberries, basil, kale, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers…etc etc the list goes on!

i’m going to die of happiness when i can eat from them!!!