Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

making nut butter

has anyone successfully discovered a way to make their own nut butter? I think it would be much cheaper to buy the nuts and make it myself rather then buy the nut butters, but how would I do it because a blender would just make a nut flour.

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I need to know how to make it without needing a $400 dollar blender with a 3-horsepower motor, which is out of reach of me.

• Ok, I just did some quick searching online and found out a lot of people are successful in their food processor and use just a tiny bit of olive oil if needed, but apparently the food processor is the way to go.

Oh, shoot, I have tried my processor and it wouldn’t blend the unhulled sesame seeds or even pulverize them. Maybe it’s not strong enough? It’s one of the small one, holds about one pint.

I did borrow my mother’s Champion, though. I just am afraid to use it:-D

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Use it! Put in the blank plate and slowly add the nuts or seeds. Bit by bit, don’t dump them all in at once! I find you have to add ail to almonds as they come out more like a flour. Experiment!

• I’ve been making my own almond butter for a while now, much easier way for me to make almond milk, in that I don’t have to find a way to use the leftover almond meal and it’s much cheaper than buying almond butter. I just put 1 cup of almonds w/ a pinch of salt in my simple food processor and after around 5 minutes or so it will clump together into a big butter ball. This gives me about a week of daily almond milks. I think with the smaller seeds like sesame you might need to use a vitamix.

I promise I’ll play with it this weekend, then! I wanted to make my own unhulled sesame tahini(which I love love love!). I’m not sure what a “blank plate ” is, though. I’m going to try to find the instruction manual online.

If I have to add oil to the sesame seeds, should I grind them first in the processor and then mix in oil? I’m so dumb:(

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

alix – you know how the juicing plate has little tini holes for the juice to go threw? Well the blanj doesn’t. Ask your mom about it. I have an Omega juicer which is similar, but maybe the dhamp doesn’t come with a blank plate. I am not sure, but it must! I would say to aid a bit of oil after grinding the sesame seeds. I have never made it so i am not really sure if they are oily enough on their own! Not a big fan of Tahini!

• FeeFee Raw Master

I made some great peanut butter last week – ok I know peanuts have toxins and should be avoided, but I like them. I bought unshelled nuts and shelled them myself (thinking they would be raw but of course they were roasted but as its an honest mistake Im eating and enjoying it). I blended the nuts for a minute or so at a time frequently throughout the day to prevent the processor blowing up. Slowly it went from chopped nuts to nuts flour to a large lump to peanut butter. Its lovely and Im so enjoying it. Next time Im going to try almond butter. Mmmmm.