Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

portable container/jug for smoothies?

Hi guys. I am trying to find a big portable container for green smoothies so I can bring them to work in the morning. I am hoping to find something that can fit in the cup holder in my car, but that is not mandatory. Any ideas?? Thanks. :) Kendra

Comments

• FeeFee Raw Master

I take mine in a stainless steel thermos flask. There are a lot of them available in England at the moment and I got mine from the supermarket. It keeps fine in that, but I stupidly left it at work today!

• heartshapedskyheartshapedsky Raw Newbie

http://www.amazon.com/Jarden-Brands-67000-12PKW…=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1209000716&sr=8-1 i use these and love them!

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

I use quart sized canning jars – all glass. The same ones that heartshapedsky uses. I get them at Walmart. I like the wide-mouthed kind. I also use them for nut/seed etc. storage. Glass is completely non-reactive.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Ooh. Good idea. I also use the wide mouth canning jars for all my nuts, etc. I just purchased 2 stainless tumblers from Amazon with a hole for my stainless straw—love those things! I’ll let you know how it works out.

• Thanks guys. :) I have a couple mason jars at home, but they are not too convenient for taking in the car, etc. They are heavy and do not have a cover. I wanted to buy one of the “smoothie jugs” from the Raw Divas website, but they are $19, plus $19 in shipping – ridiculous. I actually tried to put green smoothie in my new Sigg, but it was extremely difficult to clean. Oh well, nothing will stop me from my beloved smoothies. .:)

• Hello again – just wanted to clarify that the shipping is $19 for international orders, and $9 for standard shipping. Still pricey, but I love the divas and I didn’t want to give out incorrect info. :)

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I read that Sigg bottles are aluminum. :( I was searching for travel mugs also months ago and didn’t go with Sigg for that reason, even though they look so darn cool! Ended up with a stainless steel mug from Starbucks. You can get mason jar lids, spare ones, at your grocery store. Also, go down the “juice” isle, or any other isle with glass that has food in them, and see if there are any glass jars that you would like to use. Buy the juice, throw it away and keep the bottle for your green smoothies :)

• Oooh, I didn’t realize mason jars came with lids – very cool! Thanks rawmama! :)

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

You’re welcome :) Since there are so many warnings out there now about plastics, especially #3, 6, and 7 plastics being pulled from shelves or being tested further, best to go with glass or stainless steel is what a lot of others are looking for. I wish that somebody would make one that was glass inside protected with rubber on the outside for breakage…I bet they will soon :)

rawmama,

The Siggs are aluminum outside but are lined with a non-reactive liner. Sigg doesn’t say what that consists of (company secret), just that it is non-reactive.

I’ve kept a Sigg bottle filled with water in my car, in the hot summer, and the water tasted fresh and fine weeks later. I’m extremely sensitive and can taste metal when I keep water in a stainless steel container. So I think the lining must really be non-reactive. I’m still a little wary, though, since they don’t reveal the ingredients of their material.

By the way, did you see those articles about nalgene last week? They’re pulling it off the shelves because they found it’s actually toxic, too. I could always taste the plastic when I drank out of one of those.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

just throw mine into a clear glass mason jar! I am starting to have fun freaking out the folks at work!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Oh no! I just bought Siggs for the whole family—is aluminum bad too! I thought they were stainless. let me try to link you to this tumbler. i wish there were more pic of it so we could dissect it, but use me as the guinnea pig. it has shipped so i’ll get them in a couple of days.OK It is the Liquid Solutions Tumbler by Pacific Cornetta—double wall stainless w/ locking lid. only the outside is plastic in pretty colors so as not to gross out the co-workers. Just read Siigs are coated with a water-based resin on the inside to keep liquids from contacting metal. Thoughts?

• lzhpt – I still think Siggs are ok – very safe. I just don’t like it for the smoothies b/c it sticks – very hard to clean. The outside of the sigg is aluminum, but the inside is a mystery material – it’s supposed to prevent leeching into the water. So you’re good. :)

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

kendra—wanted to get back w/ you on my smoothie travel containers that arrived today—Better then I thought! They are just 16 oz, though so you still need to bring the big jar for the other smoothie, depending on how much you have…but, that said, Liquid Solutions Double Wall Stainless Tumbler available from Amazon has a locking lid, which will accommodate the stainless straw. It’s all stainless inside and pretty outside w/ a non-skid bottom. Big top for easy cleaning.

• Thanks lzhpt! :)