Need Kombucha Help fast!

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

just made kombucha for the first time! my recipe says to seperate the new disk from the old.. give the old away or throw away. since I love kombucha I want to start two batches at once, and was wondering if I can put them together in this huge glass jar I got.. any thoughts?

Comments

• kminty, I’ve been wanting to make my own kombucha for a long time but haven’t felt confident about it. I thought about buying the kit for $50, but wanted to know if it’s easy to do without it. It looks a little complicated, but it could just be my “fear” about starting this project. How did you get started—by yourself or with a kit?

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Mon46.. I was really intimidated too.. that’s why it’s taken me six months! It was actually quite easy if you have some directions. I was fortunate, a woman that works at the local coop had a starter for me and gave me directions. Overall if you can get a starter it’s pretty easy.. the process is basically you boil water..add about 6 organic tea bags and a cup of sugar.. let it cool over night. Then add the scoby, plus one cup of kombucha left from a previous batch (hopefully wherever you get the mushroom you can get that too) then you just let it sit in a big jar for about ten days

• kminty, can you use KT’s Kombucha as a starter? Or does the bottling change the tea? You’ve given me courage. I have found some directions on the internet, so once I have the scoby, I’ll give it a try. Thanks!

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

good!!!! I think you could use KT”s? why not?

• yes, you can use the bottled kombucha to start it, as long as it is not pasturized, and if you keep it in a warm environment. it takes a couple of weeks, and looks scary, but it will eventually form a mother..