Here's a tip

Hi all. Ok here’s a great tip….yes we all do love the raw desserts, but look at all that packaging that is going into the environmet via trash, so make your own. This way you can make as much or as little as you like to satisfy your appetite. My favorite is mixing honey in with nut butter. Sometimes I’ll get dessert happy and mix in carob and coconut as well, but the honey and nut butter is really what conquers the craving when I feel like being “bad.” Plus, to cut down on cost try making your own nut butter in a blender or food processor. Buying the raw nuts is cheaper then buying the jar. Plus as long as you can get the nuts in bulk, once again you are saving the planet from another jar of waste. In calculating prices I figure it costs half as much to buy the nuts and make the butter yourself then to buy the jar. Oh, and I finally found some raw peanuts at a local ethnic grocery. Check out Hispanic and Asian owned markets for better prices instead of strictly chain groceries and only health food stores. I think I spent $1.79 plus tax for my bag of raw peanuts that amounts to eleven 1/3 cup servings. In addition make sure you scope out these markets for produce. While everything may not be 100 percent organic it is often a lot fresher, tastier and not mass produced with a lot of hormones involved…just some “food for thought.” Happy shopping! :)

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

ChelseaMM- great tip! I hope to purchase fewer raw desserts, and make my own instead. I buy all products in bulk with no packaging. I will soon be the proud owner of a worm composting kit, and i will waste nothing!