Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

calcium

hey everyone…so I told my mom about how I’ve been going raw (not using that term though it would freak her out…i simply told her how I’ve been eating uncooked unprocessed fruits/veggies/ect. because the enzymes aren’t destroyed and it makes it easier to digest – I have horrible digestion) anyway I am waiting for the inevitable “where do you get your calcium?” question. is calcium even really necessary? considering I eat healthy, get enough fat, exercise regularly. I’ve even read calcium supplements promoted bone LOSS in one study, and I am not taking calcium supplements. I was lactose intolerant before for 5 years anyway so it’s not like I was getting much anyway. but what do I tell everyone who is trained to think you need a gallon of milk and cheese every day? thanks!

Comments

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

Tell them that dairy leads to losing calcium. All that marketing to the contrary is just that – marketing to the masses to make money. NOT provide calcium.

Here is a great article at the Well Being Journal Website on calcium: http://www.wellbeingjournal.com/index.php?optio…

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Well—that whole process(bone health)is way more complicated than eating calcium—we need a working balance between calcium(sprouted raw almonds,broccoli, green leafys), magnesium(green leafys), phosphorus (black sesame seeds) and Vit. D (leave the sunblock out for 10-15 min/day). You are getting the best and most absorbable plant sources for all of these—gorillas (raw plant eaters)do not get osteoporosis and considering the epidemic of this disease in this country, it is obvious once again that traditional medicine has missed the boat. You’re correct there was a study done last year noting INCREASED incidence of hip fracture in the calcium supplement group!!!!!! So bone up America-eat greens and get your vitamin D today from the sun!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

the best place to get calcium is from your greens, and get sunlight for vitamin d. certain greens are particularly high in calcium (spinach, i think kale/swiss chard)

izhpt – hwat you said is right on target.

• I agree with AKAAuburnEyes and Izhpt. I think what Izhpt wrote says it all.

Here are two more threads in regards to eating raw and calcium. (more great suggestions – in regards to calcium).....

Foods for Broken Bones http://goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/4375

going off milk now – need advice http://goneraw.com/forums/3/topics/1304

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Leafy greens and algae are excellent sources of calcium!

It would be better to educate yourself on where to get your calcium from and use that defense rather than bashing dairy. It’s such a mindset in this country, you won’t win using that argument.

• say “i get my calcium from the same place cow get theirs… from green stuff!!” unfortunately cows dont really get their calcium from grass anymore.. they have to take vitamins basically.. so they feed corn with calcium sprinkled on it to the cows.. the cows then produce milk that is then fortified with all kindsa stuff… and then people drink it and claim that it is natural.. not even close! my dad was like “you are gonna have to take supplements.. and with my diet (SAD of course) i dont have to” and im like “uh yes you do!! anything that you eat that has dairy in it is supplemented.. skip the middle man and go straight to the source!! dark leafy greens!!

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

Some foods high in calcium:

• sesame seeds
    • chia seeds
    • carob powder
    • agar-agar

Spices are a good source of calcium too, you can check: http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-002118000000…

For example:
    • 100 gr.Ground Savory gives you 2132 mg. of calcium, just 4 gr. (1 tbsp) gives you 90 mg
    • 100 gr. Dried Basil has 2113 mg, just 1 Tbsp has 42 mg.

Mustard is high in calcium too (and iron):

• 1 cup (56 gr.) mustard chopped greens = 57.7 mg calcium
    • 1 tbsp mustard seeds (11 gr. ) = 57.3 mg calcium
  • angie207angie207 Raw Master

almonds, kelp, sesame seeds, carob – and I agree with just telling sources of calcium rather than arguing about dairy. Happy going, and good thinking to educate yourself ahead of time!

• Came in to give my 2c but realised everyone else has pretty much said it!

I’d add that a raw diet promotes an alkaline environment in the body, which is conducive to the retention of calcium.

Many foods traditionally thought to be good sources of calcium, including dairy, promote an acidic environment in the body, which promotes loss of calcium.

And calcium is a complex mineral, performing many function in the body like cell signalling etc. Taking calcium supplements and screwing with the natural calcium levels seems to upset this somehow, something that is becoming increasingly obvious as more calcium studies are being conducted.

• sesame sprouts