sun dried tomatoes and organic produce

I thought I’d kill two birds with one post :)

First, Sun Dried Tomatoes. Where can I find these raw? Any brands to look for? They’re really great in a salad I make, but the ones I find say in the ingredients “100% sun dried tomatoes, prepared with sulfur dioxide to retain color”. Is this typical for sun dried tomatoes? Or do I have to make my own?

Also… organic produce! I work at a supermarket, and basically we’re the only chain around that actually sells a decent amount of organic produce. But this decent amount is barely a large selection. Apples, Pears, Bananas, Carrots, Spinach, Spring Mix, Portabella, Ginger Root, and thats about it.

There IS a natural food supermarket an hour away where everything is organic, and they have a wide selection, even some things you wouldn’t find anything else (I had never seen purple asparagus before). But like I said… its an hour away, and the price of gas isn’t going down.

Is eating all organic a problem for many of you?

Comments

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Eating all organic is a big problem for me and I don’t get much variety. First, I shop at one of the last mom & pop stores in town. They really support local farmers but most of it isn’t organic. Most of the organic stuff comes in from CA and is grown by big agribiz. I don’t like to give them my money.

I try to dry my own tomatoes because the ones from my market are treated with salt too. I think the dehydrator tomatoes taste pretty good.

• I buy Seeberger organic tomatoes, which are really sundried and raw. I live in Germany and it is a german company, but I’m sure you can get it in most part of Europe. The local supermarket(in the next village) usually carries a small range o organic produce, so I travel 2 hours to Frankfurt and 2 back, to get my organic produce. I usually buy a LOT of things then, and during the week I have to buy only a few things. I’m really commited to eat organic, I want to support organic farmers and I think if I can eat organic (I live in a small village without even a shop), everybody can, especailly those living in the US or England!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

Can you mail-order stuff? Or go to the market once a month to stock up on essentials? also sometimes small stores will special-order stuff for you. It’s worth asking. Since you work in a grocery store, maybe you can ask the orderer if you can take a peek at the order list to see what’s available.

I try to eat mostly organic but I hate it when the price is about a dollar more. i comparison shop and I am lucky to live in a place where i have lots of choice where to shop. If you have to choose what to buy organic and what not to, I have heard that things with skins are safer to have conventional and things like berries are better to have organic. Here’s a list of what you should try to get organic.

12 Most Contaminated – Buy These Organic

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

irishpenguin—check out localharvest.org to find farms and farmers markets in your area. produce season is upon us and i doubt it will be hard for you to get local organics… unless you live in the north pole.

sun dried tomatoes are, alas, best to make yourself, unless you want to order online. if you have a dehydrator it takes about 10 minutes to slice them, put them on the trays and then all you have to do is wait…