Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

dumb question about dehydrators

nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

hi! we have a tiny kitchen and my husband wants to know if a dehydrator can be kept (and USED) in a cupboard. Meaning, when we’re dehydrating stuff we really don’t have the counter space to keep it out, and could we have it in a cupboard while dehydrating, or does it need sufficient air flow to operate? and of course there’s the safety issue—would it be dangerous to keep it (while operating) in a cupboard?

thank you!

Comments

• I wouldn’t leave a dehydrator on in a cupboard. If it’s an Excalibur, you have to keep it out in the open (plus, it’s too big to store in small spaces)

A dehydrator needs sufficient air flow to operate.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

It might get too hot in a cupboard. Could you put it in a different room? My friend has hers in the garden shed.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

no, we have a really small apt and my hubby thinks we have too many kitchen appliances as it is. Simply no room. Oh well, I will have to live without for the time being.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

we are having a similar problem. we put the toaster away for now. i used it more than he does.

but my husband doesn’t like the noise of the dehydrator. so I may have to move it.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

yeah, we have the same problem. Fortunately, my toaster oven broke and I reclaimed some counter space. Some days, I put the dehydrator in the oven when I need more space… make sure NOT to turn on the oven at this time.

The noise… yes, well, if it’s over night, it doesn’t matter much. You wake up smelling the food. Yumm!

Oh yeah, and it helps that we just got a flat top stove… works great as a counter!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

bitt, the dehydrator makes NOISE? I thought it was really quiet for some reason… sigh.