Besides the color of it, how do I tell if honey is raw?

I bought some of this stuff: http://www.honeyacres.com/8-oz-hex-jar-natural-...

How do you tell if it’s unprocessed and unheated? It’s a light milky yellowish color, and it’s really thick, so does that mean it’s unheated?

I also heard that if it’s really raw, it has more of a grainy texture, but this stuff is really smooth

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

The only way to KNOW is to buy honey that is labeled as “raw” or “unheated” – raw honey will eventually get grainy/thicker, but it is all runny when the bees make it, and how quickly it thickens/solidifies depends on what flowers the bees got the nectar from. The flowers also determine the flavor and color of the honey. The milky-yellowish and thick kind usually is the “creamy” honey. Don’t know if it is all raw or just some brands.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

hmmmm, what you have described sounds like it fits the bill. If it’s a reputable supplier, and it says raw, then it sounds like it should be. It can be a little grainy. Really fine though. Honey is so nutritious! Make sure the people who make it are reputable, and treat the bees well!!

I hope this helps.

I just checked the link you gave, and it is the “creamy” honey – they just whip it to make it thick – sorry, it doesn’t look like it’s raw. Most aren’t, so you have to look for the ones that say they are raw.

Okay, I just checked and my friend does have his on the internet now – he is a great beekeeper, loves his bees, has great honey, keeps his bees where people don’t use pesticides, etc. His honey is totally unheated – he even uses a “comb” to uncap the honeycomb, rather than a hot knife like a lot of beekeepers use (even though they still label their honey as raw). His website is www.thehoneycompany.com

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

There are so many types of honey that you can’t judge it by its color or texture. Even from season to season they change based on the weather and geographical location. Get it where it says “raw” and buy it from a beekeeper.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

ang – I just went on that site. Good prices! MMMM i can smell the beeswax from here. Love that smell. Where is she from? I have heard getting local honey is the best for alergies and such. (not that I have any, nor do I want any)

Luna – He is here in Utah, and yeah, local is good if you have allergies. It’s funny – before I bought Stan’s honey, I used to get some from Canada, and now I’m recommending Utah honey to a Canadian? heehee :)