Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

coconuts

Um….I feel really dumb, but I want to start uncooking with coconuts, but I don’t know what to look for, or how to crack one open, or, well, how to prepare them at all. Does anyone have any, sigh “coconut resources” they could share with me? A good website or book title?

Thanks.

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

That link I posted shows/tells how to open one – don’t know about other resources like picking out or what to do with it – I only use the young Thai coconuts and not the mature ones.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

when i was in l.a. matt amsden’s place had a neat system of cutting open their coconuts that i find a little more accessible than the chop in half, catch and pour method.

i use a strong knife and a mallet. place the blade vertically on the coconut and tap with the mallet to create a line. then i continue till i’ve made a hexagon all around the crown of the coconut. remove the “lid,” and place your cup over the opening to seal it. flip the coconut and cup in this position. in my experience a 16 oz cup is ideal. (this is hard to explain in words… hope this is making sense). you can also just use a straw.

the whole is big enough that you can easily use a spoon to scoop the meat out, but not so big that all the water falls out.

picking them out—pick big ones. more water, more meat. make sure they aren’t moldy.

preparing—you can add them to ANYTHING that calls for fat. i use them in salad dressings, cracker batters, dessert mousses, green smoothies… you can also cut them into noodles if they are firm.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

You could make coconut milk, if you are using adult coconuts. Just blend the water with the meat. Add some agave is necessary. You can also make coconut sorbet. It’s the same as the coconut milk, just use less cocont water and process it through an ice cream maker – stir it in the freezer for a few hours. Hope this helps.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

pianissima – scoop the meat out? Of a mature coconut? I thought only the young coconuts could be scooped – when I have bought mature coconuts, the meat was thick and hard to get out, but maybe I should try it again?

oh, i thought she was talking about young coconuts… did i misunderstand? you definitely can’t scoop the meat out of a mature one!

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

See www.thenaughtyvegan.com for great instructions on how to open a young coconut (it’s a 2 pager), as well instructions on how to open a mature coconut (2 pages as well). :)

• you guys rock! The hexagon description was actually really clear, so thank you. I bought a can of coconut milk to experiment with until I find some.