square foot gardens

can someone please explain what these are and how to start growing them for me? I really need to find ways to cut down on the raw food cost and as im moving onto over an acre in 2 weeks it seems like this might be a good idea.

Comments

• Yes, there is a square foot gardening site. It is http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ I highly recommend the book too…it will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know. I just made my first square foot gardens this year, and oh my goodness, it is soooo much easier than traditional gardening. In one 4×6 foot square, I have tomatoes, zucchinis, eggplant, banana peppers, bell peppers, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, and herbs. I spend probably 20 minutes a week, tops, caring for it. AMAZING. Highly recommend!

• awesome thanks for the link I will definatelly check that out. Glad to hear you don’t end up spending too much time working on it also.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

If you are on an acre, you might like “How To Grow More Vegetables” by John Jeavons – It is the biointensive method and I love it – more yield in less space than traditional gardening, and it also talks about how to give back and feed the soil, growing certain things together for better of both plants, etc. I haen’t tried to do the whole thing all at once, and it is a lot to digest, but great for long-term and larger food production. This is only my third year gardening, but I am using some of his principles in my gardening now – very helpful. I don’t know what square-foot gardening is, so I’m going to checkout the link. Thanks, athomelaurel!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Okay, I looked at the link, and it’s a totally different from my reference – I guess I’ll stick with mine for now since it’s more about long-term sustainability, but this method sounds like it’s super easy and definitely saving money! Mine’s a lot of hard work :) I may have to switch to the square-foot method if/when I have less time? Thanks for the info.!