Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Food scraps

As most of us do, I collect an embarrassing amount of food scraps, especially from juicing. I know that composting is an option but I don’t have a garden and haven’t found a need for making my own compost. Does anyone know what else I can do with this “waste”?

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

You can use the veggie pulp to make breads – there are a few recipes on here: “winter veggie bread”, “white bread”, and “mild rosemary bread” all use veggie pulp, and I’m sure you could come up with your own variations of those once you get the hang of how they work.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

You could always make compost for the trees in the parks. :) But it’d be ridiculous to have one of those counter-top bins for it. Unless you start window-growing. But 90% of all pulps can be rescued for crackers or other recipes. It’s hard to think sometimes so i save it in a bag in the fridge or freezer til I think of something tasty.

• have_mersey,

So, you freeze your pulp and it stays good enough to make crackers and bread.

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

I know someone who spreads it on their lawn. At first they used to bury the pulp, one little hole at a time, but now spreads/sprinkles it outside. I believe that Victoria Boutenko mentioned that in one of her books, saying that all the worms in the neighborhood are in her backyard :)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

You may want to blend it down first, for obvious reasons, but I think it is fine to put it outside. You are just returning it to nature rather than a land fill, where the remains can serve a purpose.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

you don’t have to freeze it either, you can just have a container in your fridge. it’ll keep for a few days. i love making breads, crackers and veggie patties out of the pulp.