Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Sunflower seeds for sweet dessert?

Has anybody try sunflowers seeds instead of nut to make desserts?

Yesterday I made a cashew/strawberry mouse and it was delicious (Just: 2 cups chopped strawberries, 1 cup cashews, 2 tbsp agave, pinch of salt). I don’t know if it can be a good idea to substitute for sunflowers (the main reason to doing is that they are cheaper). Thank you!

Comments

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

They probably won’t be as smooth and creamy… but I’ve never actually tried sunflower seeds in a sweet recipe yet. I really want to try making some sunflower seed milk, but it’ll probably need some agave nectar.

• anngoingrawanngoingraw Raw Newbie

I see… perhaps I can try with half seeds/half nuts to keep smooth and creamy and see what happen… Thanks!!

No prob. :)

No prob. :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i have. delicious! you can add soaked sunflower seeds to frozen bananas in the food processor (i use a magic bullet) for a creamy ice cream. i add them to any pudding i’m making if i’m out of avocado. it’s really not a taste highlight. it’s very much in the background flavor-wise. sesame seeds work well too, or a combination.

they would work great in your mousse, esp if you added a wee bit of coconut butter, or a sliver of avocado along with them.

Wow! I must try!!

Magic Bullet!!! How does it work? can you make nut butter with it? (my blender just make “nut flour”). I haven’t buy anything from TV, but don’t know why when I see knife and blender’s adverts I stay there wathching like hypnotize. And one of those adverts with hypnotic effects was magic bullet one. Just wondering, would it be true? will it work as they show?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

pianissima, thanks for the simple creamy ice cream recipe. I’ve got to try it sometime… we always have sunflower seeds and bananas… and my husband loves ice cream but I rarely make it for him.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I have subbed them for parts of certain dessert recipes. No problems yet.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

the magic bullet is incredible… it can ALMOST make nut butter, but not quite. it gets the almonds a LOT finer than a food processor though, and if you add a little water to it it is SO creamy. i usually don’t make “butters” but just add the butter ingredient (say almonds, sesame seeds, etc…) into the batter and it’s like you added a spoonful of nut butter cuz it gets so creamy.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

perhaps a coffee grinder could be used on nuts instead of the magic bullet, if you don’t have one.

Thank you very much everybody!!

I use both my blender and coffee grinder, one day I’ll break them!! I have seen that magic bullet is now at a reasonable price, perhaps I buy it.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I like to soak my sunflowers and blend them with some banana for sweetness to make a really nice creamy dressing without using nuts.

I definitively must make a banana dessert sine everybody talks about it!!