HELP-Is my almond meal bad?

I just made a large batch of the yummy cinnamon rolls on this site. I save my leftover almond pulp from mylk in the fridge so just used that. As I was rolling out the dough it looked like there were white blotches in it…kind of looked like mold, but a) did not smell bad, and b) i even picked out a bit a tasted it and it was bland…not yucky tasting. I am hoping the white stuff is the same as how white flour used to get if not thoroughly mixed into a cookie dough recipe, in which case I’m probably safe. So I’m a bit worried because i made this batch of rolls for guests coming over tomorrow for breakfast. Should I risk it? I guess the question is how long does almond pulp last in the fridge after making mylk? Sorry for the panic post!!!!

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Hi kindaraw!

What did the almond meal look like before you made the dough with it? What did it smell like? If you didn’t smell it, then how long was it in the fridge? I would assume that almond pulp coul stay in the fridge for no more than maybe 3 or 4 days. But I have never stored almond meal in the fridge for longer than 4 hours before I use it. The white spots could also be if the flax and the almond meal aren’t mixed enough, there will be spots of almond meal, which is sort of white, if you didn’t mix it enough. That wouldn’t matter obviously. If it turns out they are bad, then you might want to just take the time to make more rolls. It is kind of easy, just quickly throw together some almond milk, strain it, pour the milk in another cup, and then put the almond meal in the blender or food processor. Add falx, spices sweetener and just put them on the dehydrator if you want. Litterally, I have done it and it is easy. But I can see why you wouldn’t want to make more if you don’t. It is kind of a pain. I hope this helps a bit.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

When did you make the almond milk/pulp? It should be ‘okay’ in the fridge for up to 4 days.

I haven’t seen what you describe… maybe wash it again.

I usually don’t risk “questionable” raw food on guests… don’t want to make them sick or ‘turn them away’. But, that’s just the way I am.

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

Yes, I smelled it before I used it. The meal was 4 days old. I usually eye it pretty well before I use it for recipes but it looked fine. I think you are right rawkidchef, it was probably spots of almond meal. the recipe said to “mix by hand” so maybe the flax meal and almond meal are just different enough in consistency that the white spots are the “finer” parts of the almond meal that just didn’t get mixed in well enough. well i’m going to go ahead and serve it in the morning so we shall see :o) thanks for the input!!

ps: germin8, what do you mean by “wash it again”? Do you wash the almond meal before using it in recipes?

How did it go kindaraw? Also, I would imagine if you washed the almond meal it would get all soggy??

• rawpatiencerawpatience Raw Newbie

the rolls were a hit and so far nobody is feeling bad ;o) there are some leftovers though (i made a huge batch) so i think i will be safe and toss the rest. does anybody here ever freeze the leftover almond pulp? if so, what effect does that have on recipes and how long to defrost…just wondering. thanks!

If it smells… throw it out. I thought maybe washing it would help… but, if its been 4 days… just throw it out.

Freezing should be okay (some enzyme denaturization does occur)... but, that’s assuming they are raw almonds to begin with and not the pasteurized kind.

How long to defrost? Just run it over warm water.

germin8, how do you “wash” almond meal?

I imagine… the same way you do when you make almond milk. Wash, squeeze out the water (almond milk part) with a cheesecloth or sieve.

But, I suggested to just throw it out.