Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Organic apples can be covered with wax??

TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I have some apples from a local store that are labeled “organic” yet are coated in the wax coating convential apples have. I guess I assumed that organic apples were never coated with wax. I’m new to organics and I’m not familiar with it, really. Can anyone informed tell me what this is all about?

Comments

• Some large organic operations apply wax coatings on fruit. I know most citrus fruit is coated to preserve the fruit during shipping and storage, for apples you have to check the carton the produce dept. received them in. Many varieties of apples produce a natural wax coating on their skin themselves, especially after spending some time in storage. So even if your apple looks waxy it may not have had wax applied.

Under the USDA national organic certification program, waxing of organic fruit is allowed if wax used is a non-synthetic, food grade substance.

So, yes organic apples can be covered with wax.

• RawVoiceRawVoice Raw Newbie

I noticed that some of the organic fruits and vegetables I buy at Trader Joe’s looked waxy, so I emailed them asking them to stop waxing them. They said there was some clay substance, if I remember correctly, they use, and it washes off easily. They said they have no intention of stopping. Too bad because it is so unnecessary to put anything on them.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

Okay, thank you all for the answers! Like I said, I’m really an idiot at organic knowledge! I need to find something that will cleanse off this organic wax. I found out that soap and water won’t do it, but I really do love to eat apple skins.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

but it’s the “non-synthetic, food grade substance” wax made from corn, which is sprayed with dangerous pesticides? i can’t wait to be able to eat fresh from the farmer’s market… no corn wax!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

So glad we have apple trees :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

yuck. i hate those trader joes’ apples. since apple prices have gone up to about $3 a pound, I am switching to pears at $2 a pound. no wax on those at the coop.