critique my diet

nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

i am new to this and would love some feedback about what i’ve been eating. started raw 2 weeks ago, and am at about 90% raw.

breakfast: green smoothie and if hungry, bowl of raw granola with almond milk

lunch: green salad with avocado fruits like apple carrot salad or banana raw cheese and/or nuts if hungry

snack: lara bar if hungry

dinner: tomato salad with parsley and raw hummus made with zucchini and tahini or cauliflower cous cous with cashew nut dressing

This is just to give an idea. I probably have about 1/2 cup of nuts a day, 1/2 head of greens in my smoothie along with a couple of bananas and other fruit, or make it savory a la green for life using tomatoes. I mix up the nuts, and occasionally have date/chocolate balls with coconut when i need something sweet. I am experimenting with some RAWvolution recipes and recently made myself some great carrot soup from it. I just purchased a Blendtec blender and a dehydrator which will hopefully arrive soon so I can really get further into the raw lifestyle.

Any suggestions for improving what i eat would be appreciated.

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

you seem like you are doing great!

my usual suggestion is just to keep stepping up the green intake… try some leafier stuff like kale, chard, collards if you haven’t already.

another thing that i find really helpful is to have a green juice in the morning (add lemon, apple, ginger, whatever you like to make it taste DELICIOUS). this just oxygenates all your cells and is so cleansing in the morning.

one other thing you may or may not be concerned about at this point: larabars are not completely raw. (if fact i noticed they say “unheated” rather than raw now). the almonds they use are mandatorily pasteurized. also, make sure your cashews are really raw. if they say “raw” it just means they are not roasted. ones that are REALLY raw will make a big deal about advertising it and you usually have to buy them online (though there are probably great resources in NYC).

did you get an apt at LYT btw?

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

hey, thanks!! i plan on calling them tomorrow. my skin does seem better over the last couple of days. No new breakouts, and I attribute that to decreasing my nut intake and increasing my greens. I am eating a bunch of greens that I got at union square market yesterday—kale, collards, sorrel, dandelion greens etc, and I think that helps. I tend towards VERY oily skin and hair, which is great for the wrinkles but not for the zit-age, and I think the greens are so cleansing for me.

I just bought a dehydrator and a Blendtec and I am SO psyched. Hey, can I ask—what do you do in the winter? don’t you feel the need to eat more warming foods? thanks.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

hey…i am new to new too. i realized I had to get a new blender and dehydrator to keep going at this rate. yeah, some of the food which one would think are raw are actually pasteurized. it’s frusterating, but eventually you’ll figure it out (I hope I will too!).

as far as warming foods, we had a cold snap recently so I tried to add more spices like cinnamon, ginger, cayenne, etc. to balance it out. I LOVE carrot, apple, ginger, lemon juice. mmmmm

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

For winter, I eat more nuts, kale, cauliflower, good fats, etc.

Is there a specific reason you want a critique/change of diet? Your diet sounds wonderful for just starting out!

no specific reason. I have really been getting bad acne for the last week or two, and wonder if i am eating something that’s contributing to it. thanks!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

acne is usually due to your body detoxing – getting rid of all the garbage stored inside – and a lot of it comes out through the skin. Green juices and warm water enemas help clear the colon so more toxins get out quickly without having to come through your beautiful face :) Tea tree (I’ve heard) or lavender (I’ve used) essential oil dabbed on the spots can help them clear out faster.

thanks—i’ve been told here to get a colonic and i just have to figure out who will watch my kids while i go (not bringing them there LOL)