Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fasting for weight loss

Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

So I’m on a water fast right now to try and lose a few pounds. I’m only on the fast for 3-5 days, but I’m worried about gaining back all the weight I lose on the fast and then some. The last thing I want to do is get heavier!

Does anyone know any good ways to keep the weight off? I’ve heard people say it will stay off and I’ve heard people say it will just come back with a few extra pounds in tow.

Comments

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I contacted a few people about this same issue… but, i have about 20 pounds left to lose. They recomended i start green juicing for breakfast and lunch and having a normal dinner (kinda like the “slimfast” diet) and then to take 2 days out of each month and just “juice fast” for these 2 days. I’ve been doing this for almost a month and tomorrow is my first juice fast day… i’ve been struggling with this for a while now, so anything will help!!! Good luck to you – i don’t know how you can only drink water for 5 das, but if you can, more power to you!

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

Thanks carrie!

I’d like to hear what anyone else has to say on the topic.

And what is the proper way to go about breaking a fast? I was thinking of doing one day juice, then one day smoothie, then back to some sloid foods. That sound good?

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I guess it would be like ending the master cleanse. Maybe you should start with a day of fresh orange juice and then another day of mixed juices or a smoothie… something like that. I guess there was something wrong with the site since our responses were both posted a number of time! Strange!

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

Your body will be hungry for carbs and sugars after a water fast and most likely will over indulge in them since it has felt deprived. That is why people say you gain after a water fast. It’d be better to do Smoothies for weight loss. Or take apple cider vinegar everyday. After a mostly water fast I did a few months ago(Not for weight loss, just rest), I ate every high carb, high sugar and high fat food I could find. So the rest my body had was destroyed by overworking after. I think juice and/or smoothie feasts do more good. Especially if you make sure you are having several bowl movements a day.

I noticed after I feast/fast I don’t want the nasty foods as much, if at all, and I am more aware. That in itself could help with weightloss.

anyway I hope whatever you do works for you.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

have_mercy you are right. this is what i have read too. your body needs nutrition or it goes into starvation mode. you simply have to have some nutrients. if you go on a juice feast (with all the fiber of the juice filtered out) you are giving your digestive system a break but you are still getting the nutrition you need. you will have better results if you do that for longer versus shorter stints of water fasting.

i have gone several days with replacing a meal with smoothie. for my evening meal and my morning one. i think this will lead to longer-term better habits and longer lasting results.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I don’t advise fasting to lose weight, it slows your metabolism and you are likely to make up for lost time when you go back to eating. Instead, why don’t you devise yourself a meal plan and just stick to it. Drink water in between your meals and don’t snack. And do extra exercise that you really enjoy.