Coconut Bliss

It’s soo yummy. But is it raw?

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

hey shrk_byte, it is definately not raw but many raw foodists do indulge on it sometimes. You could easily make a raw version. It looks very delicious, I would love to make it too! It looks like coconut milk is used as the base, sweetened with agave and added flavors like vanilla.

Here’s a link to the FAQ section of their website which states that it is not raw.

http://www.coconutbliss.com/html/faq.html

Here’s how to make coconut milk, if you want to try to make it raw:

Open an adult coconut. The easiest way to do it is smash them outside on the concrete, unless you have a better tool.

I have heard that tapping the coconut on a hard surface makes the tough meat come out easier. You could also probably scoop out the meat using the back of a sturdy spoon, like with young coconut meat. If possible, try not to get pieces of the brown shell. It doesn’t affect the taste really, but will darken the natural white color of the coconut.

Take the meat and blend it in a vita-mix with 1 cup of filtered water or maybe even a regular blender could do the job. You could also use a juicer. It also looks like they thickened the coconut milk with guar gum. Guar gum is a fiber supplement as well as a thickener, so it wouldn’t be a problem to use it. Start out with 1 tablespoon if guar gum and build up gradually. Blend it in the coconut milk. Add 3 or 4 tablespoons of agave, vanilla, cocoa powder, etc. Chill the mixture for a few hours to overnight. Process through an ice cream maker and this is your coconut bliss. If this seems like too much trouble, you can keep eating it but the bug problem is all the fats that adult coconut has and these become dead fats that cannot be digested when cooked.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

ha! i got tricked by the label and had a sample. the vendor told me raw foodies often “cheat” on it. needless to say i did not buy it. but the sample was delicious.

thanks for sharing the recipe rawkidchef!