Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Allergies

Hey all! I’ve been 85-100% raw for about two and a half weeks, with no allergies in sight (I usually have pretty bad symptoms in the Spring). Buuuut, recently I feel them coming on. Does any one have any ideas for particular foods that will help combat allergies? I’ve heard that bee pollen helps…

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Try drinking plenty of water… Take about 8 oz of water in the morning with about 1/4 tsp (sea) salt. Do the same in the evening.

I never had allergies… until last weekend! I was just about to post this, but remembered that I hadn’t been drinking my water and taking salt. So, I wanted to try that first. Last time I tried the salt-and-water, I had sinus drainage problems (in 2002)... and it was resolved. A friend from church did the same thing and it worked for her.

• shrk_byte, when I moved to Hawaii I suddenly had terrible allergies whenever the mango trees or lehua would bloom. A beekeeper told me to try eating local honey. Of course I thought she was just trying to sell me something. But I did buy some lehua honey and started having it in the mornings in a big glass of water. My allergies started getting better almost right away, and by the time I moved away from Hawaii 3 years later, they were completely gone.

Local honey worked for me.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

BUNNY - When you say you used local honey, how much? how often? how long? Thanks.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

My second born had terrible allergies, had to take 3 shots a week and one gamma globlin shot a week… Didn’t think he would live to be a child let alone an adult… He was born in 1969 and now has 3 children of his own… I was able to stop his shots after starting local honey, I gave him one tablespoon every morning and again at night before dinner… I can’t remember how long it took but it seems like it was a really short time, maybe a month or less… Hope this helps, good luck feeling better!!!

• Hmm, do you think bee pollen would do the same thing as honey? I will try the salt thing in the morning, and will see about the honey the next time I go to the store. Thanks for all of your help!

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

“LOCAL Honey” is the key and if it is raw it will be even better!!! You will need to check out your LOCAL bee hivers for “raw” honey… Your whole food store may carry some honey local to your area… But you may have to purchase raw honey from the “grower”...

• I have found the best source of local honey to be craft fairs, city fairs, soirees, any time there is a venue where local people are setting up booths. There always seems to be on or two honey people there.

And don’t underestimate the local grocery store. I live in a pretty po dunk town, and my local Ingles has Blue Mountain Ride raw local honey on the shelves. I was in shock!

• elizabethhelizabethh Raw Newbie

bee pollen is good for allergies, as is local raw honey.

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Local bee products. Bee propolus, bee pollen, honey. Make sure it is raw and from a reputable, kind bee keeper!!

Bunny, how are you felling so far on raw?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

So, what exactly is LOCAL HONEY? I see raw honey from Virginia (I live in VA)... does it matter what part of VA?

If my salt & water allergy remedy doesn’t work, I’m going to try the local honey.

That reminds me… I used to eat raw honey when I moved here to VA in 2003. I stopped eating it this last year… and only now do I have itchy eyes allergies for the first time in my life! Maybe it’s a coincidence… maybe not.

When people mentioned they started having allergic reactions to eating some nuts… I thought, maybe eating too many nuts caused me to develop allergies, but really… don’t take my word for that!

• green smoothies should help with allergies. If you have a low acidic level in your stomach that possible why you have issues with allergies. To figure out if you have a low acidic level in your stomach: juice a beet, about half a cup worth or so, drink it and wait. If what comes out of your system resembles the colour of the beet then you have a low stomach acidic. Green smoothies will help with this. Victoria Boutenko’s Green For Life book will help with more details about this and recipes too!

• AKAAuburnEyesAKAAuburnEyes Raw Newbie

This is the first year I have had no seasonal allergies. What a great bonus (one of many) in going raw.

In the past I have used raw local honey to help with seasonal allergies. It is supposed to basically innoculate you with your local pollen helping you be immune to it. Using honey from another region will only benefit you if you go there, but not at home. I have never tried the bee pollen but it makes sense that it will work the same.

Green smoothies are great – my digestion has really improved. I definitely think I was having some HCL issues but it has cleared up completely!

Good luck to you, allergies are a drain!