Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

ode to my blendtec and rawvolution

so i finally got my blendtec, after months of planning and weeks of waiting, and i am so happy! i have found a whole new world of raw soups and puddings, and smoothies that don’t have bits of spinach and pineapple in them! it’s insane! i’m still figuring out which preset works best for the things i do, but even when i have to run the cycle twice, i still do in 2 minutes what my kitchen aid couldn’t do in 10! what a great investment!

i also went and picked up RAWvolution by Matt Amsden and i have never used a cookbook so much in the first week. i’m on my third batch of onion bread and i’ve made a few of the soups. aside from the constant use of coconut water (which i substitute with regular water because i am entirely unable to open the coconuts!) the recipes are easy, quick and tasty.

just expressing general excitement….3 weeks at 95% raw!

Comments

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Oooo! Fun.

You should try Matt’s The Box! Yummmm.

Wow, how’s the water substitute for coconut water working out for you. That’s the only thing that stops me from making some (of his) soup recipes. Coconut water has a certain flavor. Is it “missing” in water-substituted soups or other recipes?

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

yeah I love that book, especially the egg mayo recipe and the myclogy soup, mmmmm I have to cut out the nama shoyu though, he’s rather keen on it, I use salt instead and it is all delish :) And I substitute coconuts water for cucumber juice, with celery in it sometimes. Have you tried the Big Matt yet, I haven’t, I’d like to know if it’s worth it as it is one of the more complex recipes.

• RawKRawK Raw Newbie

hey lalala—i am getting my blendtec soon. i am wondering about thicker creations, ie nut butters and hummus. how does it hold up? do you need more liquid than you’d use in a food processor? does it have a much slower setting for such things? i guess ill find out soon, but i thought id ask to see what youve found. cant wait!

• i am finding no problem so far in taking out the coconut water, though i don’t much like the taste of it anyways. i find the food has very strong tastes, so the water would fade in the background anyways. right now i’m eating the thick and thin chili with sprouted lentils and a side of onion bread for lunch and i am a happy (and full!) camper!

RawK: the blendtec seems to hold up extremely well with more solid food. it can make snow out of a chunk of ice in seconds! it has slower settings and pulse settings. it’s still taking me a little time to get used to finding the right setting, but it seems to have one for everything! i used it to grind some sunflower seeds and if i had left them about 20 more seconds i would have had butter. there’s a huge book of recipes and instructions on making everything as well. it make amazing nut milk last night! the almond pulp was incredibly fine and is dehydrating right now to be used as almond flour!

Oh yeah, love the eggless salad and big matt… oh, and the meat loaf. Yummm. My favorites.

I also like his recipes, because he doesn’t use cacao. I tend to stick with carob.

Great to hear about the water substitute. I don’t really like the taste of coconut water either… so this is good news. Maybe I will make soup one day. I’m not a soup fan person, but some of those pictures are just mouth-watering. They just whet my appetite to make some.

• Zoe, I haven’t made it myself yet, but when I go eat lunch at Rawvolution, the Big Matt with Cheese is my FAVORITE thing on the menu! Definitely make it and don’t forget the pickles!

Germin8—one of my career goals involves making enough money to easily afford The Box every week. Can’t wait to join you in getting it!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

i love my blendtec! My favorite preset is 2. Works perfectly for smoothie. If I put all the ingredients in at once, I could run it only once and it is perfect. I use 2 for other thing too like making hummus and dips too. I always seem to ‘reach” for that number two.

Nut butters are always a bit more of a challenge. Although I have made them before. It is a bit more work. Use the “grind grains” setting first and than maybe follow the instructions in the book. I have made tahini and raw peanut butter – I had trouble with the almond butter though – don’t know why which is fine for me since I don’t really eat almond butter any how. You will need to add some water when doing the nut butters – because it CAN go into overload if you are not careful.

I’ll have to pick up this recipe book – sounds like everyone is so happy with it!

Audrey, I tried it once. If I’m on business travel, I am thinking of using that “per diem” to order The Box. It’s actually not that bad a price… it’s about what we spend at a raw restaurant. Yes, it is expensive. I think I’d get tired of the heavy (nut) food every week.

• What is “The Box”??

Matt Amsden’s The Box is raw food delivered (or not) in a box with 4 entrees, 4 sides, 2 soups, and 2 desserts.

• i just made the RAWvolution curry soup yesterday, which i was worried about making without the coconut water. i added in a handful of dried coconut to make it a little creamier and it was absolutely perfect with water. no concerns whatsoever.

• Rawvolution is the best recipe book i have ever come across. fast, simple and tasty recipes. love it!

• I am sooo happy ya’ll have had such good luck sans coconut. Seems so many raw recipes depend on either the pulp or milk. Organic coconut is an oxymoron and if you CAN find it, it’s still been dipped or irradiated for transport.

I have found only one organic non-irradiated supplier but they are prohibitively expensive and something about overnight air-freighting a case of coconuts seems more than just a little environmentally unsound.