Non Refrigerated Dehydrated Food?

germin8germin8 Raw Master

I am going cycling-camping soon and wanted to take my dehydrated treats. Will they be ok in my backpack when I cycle for 2 or 3 days?

I think someone mentioned that they don’t refrigerate their dehydrated food and lasts for weeks on the counter… is this true?

Comments

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I don’t refrig my dehydrated stuff and it lasts. I have brought with camping before and everything was fine. That is mostly the point of dehydrated food anyhow! ;)

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yeah, I thought they would last longer… in the fridge. I didn’t think they were okay outside of the fridge for so long. I didn’t want to try it either so my food doesn’t go bad… I always took some ice with me… but not this time.

Is this only for dehydrated food w/ nuts and seeds… or is does this also include dehydrated fruit roll-ups, apples, bananas?

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Dehydrate fruit will keep fine. I would just make sure to keep it in an tightly closed container so it doesn’t get wet or bugs etc.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

If you’ve got a cool bag use that. Also, making sure the dehydrated food is completely dry will keep longer. Sweet things tend to do better than savoury in my experience. Happy travelling!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Thanks for the info queenfluff & sweetpea. Glad to know I can take dehydrated fruit… my favorite. :o)