portion sizes, calories, protein

i have been up at about 95% raw for 3 weeks now, and i feel good, but i’m starting to get a little sore and achy after workouts and some mornings i’m really tired. there are other factors involved i’m sure (hormones, heavy yoga workouts 5 days a week), but as someone who used to be very strict about a calorie controlled diet and fat/protein/carb ratios, i’m never quite sure how to translate this to raw food.

it seems that i’ll eat quite large portions of the foods i eat because they’re all fairly light. i don’t eat large portions of heavy nut based or dehydrates foods, but i use much more salad dressing than i used to (due to much more salad), huge green smoothies and i can eat 2 cups of a raw soup for dinner with onion bread. the food is so unfamiliar sometimes that i have trouble estimating how much i should be eating.

how do people on here do it? do you just eat until you’re full? my weight has actually been dropping very slowly (which is good, and surprising since i can eat a huge bowl of cashew based pudding and still lose weight) but i’m not sure if that’s due to no refined carbs in my body or more water?

what does everyone think about the amount of protein we need? any good natural sources?

thanks!

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

no answers but i have noticed I don’t crave as MUCH food, just more frequently. in fact I ordered a nut-based meal last night at a raw restaurant and had to give the rest to my husband. i get full faster. somedays i eat more than others. i am just careful to not eat too much of one thing.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Well, did you know that about 45 percent of the calories in spinach are from protein? Dark leafy greens actually have a lot of protein. :D ISN’T THAT NEAT?

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

3 weeks is too early to worry about any of this. Eat what you want when you want, as long as it is raw. Give up that last 5% and then wait at least 3 months at 100% before analyzing yourself. I think you’ll find that by then you won’t have too, you’ll be on Raw autopilot.