Vote for Farm Bill!

WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

A White House veto threat is prompting lawmakers to build support for a veto override

Comments

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

WINONA - On May 15, 2008, the $300 billion Farm Bill passed by a veto-proof margin. The link you provided listed some admirable amendments to the Bill and I can understand why many people would support those efforts. Bush said he would veto the bill. It made me stop and reconsid if my position was sound given the fact that I actually agreed with this man about something.

During the past year, the richest, largest landowners in America spent $80 million dollars lobbying Congress to ensure the Farm Bill passed. These “farmers” are the entire membership of Corporate Agribiz. Most of the subsidies paid via the Farm Bill go to those farmers MAKING in excess of $250,000 yearly. The Farm Bill, as it has been passed, offers small subsidies to family farms who are happy to get what they can. However, the overwheliming majority of these subsidies go to corporate farms raising GMO products like corn, soy and potatoes. Many others get paid not to grow any products in order to keep prices high. (So much for the free market theory.) Thse taxpayer subsidies further strengthen corporate agribiz’s position in the marketplace and makes it harder for family farmers to compete, ensuring the latter are not long for this country.

The link you provided includes the “hooks” in this legislation. Those proposing legislation know they have to include hooks (sometimes the term used is referred to as “bait”). These are intended to be carted out and placed in front of those who would oppose legislation if they understood everything that was in it. Spin doctors are designated to make sure the hooks are directed to sources that the opposition would check or rely on. They make sure the oposition focuses on the hooks, so they get a warm and fuzzy feeling about the bill’s passage. Sometimes, spin doctors join grass-roots opposition organization to steer membership discussion toward the hooks. Once the opposition takes the hook, there is no more opposition. The food bank program and other feel-good measures in this year’s Farm Bill were hooks and part of the mechanism to ensure the corporate farms got what they want. I bet if someone did a full evaluation of what entity benefited the most from the Farm Bill it would be Monsanto.

The pollitical process is rigged right from the outset. Corporate America not only knows how the game is played but they are making up the rules. They can fund their position and they plan for the long-term. The political machinery is irretrievably broken and until we get that fixed or get the majority of people to start giving a damn, the best we are ever going to get is a few measley hooks.

On the upside, I am aware of at least two members of Congress who worked openly and diligently this year to end subsidies for those making in excess of $250k yearly and instead focus on family farms. It aint much, but given the $80 million that was spread around, the odds were against it.

• I think it’s the chemical and pharmaceutical industry that’s going to profit the most from the Farm bill not the poor farmers. These industries will be guaranteed a profit through the continued supplies of corn that is grown. Corn is one of the most heavily pesticided crops. Absolutely you can bet Monsanto is going to benefit the most.

Study Find Small Farms More Productive Than Large Ones Receiving Majority of Government Subsidies

From the Union of Concerned Scientists, February 2008: “Mid-sized and small farms are more productive than large farms when measured by total farm output per acre rather than the yield of a single crop (like GMO soybeans, corn, cotton), according to a review of the literature published several years ago by the non-governmental organization Food First. Mid-sized farms were also found to be better stewards of natural resources. But a recent U.S. Department of Agriculture report found that commodity payments to support row crops such as corn, soybeans, and cotton go overwhelmingly to large operations that are pushing mid-sized and small farms out of business. The report also found that farms that receive commodity payments tend to grow even bigger. Currently, two percent of U.S. farms qualify as “small” (less than 50 acres), and 67 percent are considered “large” (1000 acres or more).”

Read the Full USDA Report

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Meditating – the link on Read the Full Report didn’t work. Where’d it go?

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Meditating – wow, thanks for the heads up! It is truly sad the direction that this country is going in terms of farming. Everything seems to be about profit these days. It’s sick.

I think it working now. If not, hre is the address:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err51/err5…