Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Interesting...

Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

Ok, so I was getting really obsessive about being completely raw, to the point where it was mentally unhealthy and affecting every aspect of my life. I was just unhappy all the time thinking about food and stuff, so I decided to quit being raw and just eat mostly healthy food. I mean I still eat raw food, I just eat other things now too.

The interesting thing about this is how much different I feel! I never noticed an increase in energy when I went raw, so it’s not much of a surprise that I don’t notice a decrease now. Mentally, I feel a lot happier (probably because I’m stressing over food less). My “clarity” feels about the same too.

For me though, the weirdest thing is that my digestion is SO much better now!! When I was raw I almost never went poo, and now I do on a regular basis. It’s great. And I’ve lost like 4 pounds! In a pretty short period of time too.

Anyone know why this is?

Comments

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Hey slosh,

I totally get the raw food rigidity. I’ve been there and it is a total buzz kill. I’ve been eating a mostly raw foods diet for over a year now and in just the last month have relaxed my rules some. In a mental way this has been great. No one wants to hang around a food nazi. I have never felt super dee dooper energized on raw foods either ( but my vegetarian diet didn’t suck overly much on SAD ) When I do eat cooked on occassion I feel bloated. But the rest of the awefulness “feeling” is really just self judgement for not eating ” perfectly” Baloney of course. As to weight gain on raw. I have gained but I was under weight to start. So what were you eating raw? There is also a school of thought that believes that weight loss on cooked is not healthy weight loss as your body is not absorbing proper nutrients. Dunno. Tis all a mystery to me.;oP

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

because breathing is the most important thing! =) when you are stressed you shallow breathe.

it’s all about cellular health, and when your cells aren’t being oxygenated by the breath you aren’t going to feel healthy. even if raw foods are the most oxygenating for the body, if you aren’t taking in enough oxygen through your lungs, you are putting extra stress on your system. stress is a poor diet indeed.

i’ve experienced this too! it’s better to go slowly and to remember to breathe. =)

• MarichiesaMarichiesa Raw Newbie

Great Point pianissima! I never breathe right. I’m always unconsciously holding my breath. Can you recommend any good dvd’s, classes, that teach meditation? Total non sequiter(sp?) I know but I’m looking into it for myself and my sister in law and have never been successful on my own.

• I love this topic. When I went raw I was obsessed with being 100% raw. I did it for a month, lost 15 lbs and then something came over me. I went on a junk food bindge I still haven’t stopped I need help. I wonder if I hadn’t been so stricked with myself if this wouldn’t have happened. I kinda had the same thought, maybe if I had done mostly raw and the rest healthy sprouted breads and stuff I might still be on the diet.

One suggestion that I could make about the breathing is Palates. I used to do Windsor Palates and they concentrate alot on breathing during the exercises. At the time I remember thinking that my breating was better and the plus is that it’s great excersise.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

You may not have been “moving” because you were stressed.You should just be as raw as you can, when you can. :)

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I have the opposite. I “go” more regularly now than before cooked vegan. Also I am less stressed on raw. I think it has to be the right time. Every body is different.

• i aagree with bitt, i think the time has to be right. if you force something on yourself, it won’t work, no matter how great it is!

i feel great with raw food, and usually less stressed and more free, ironically. the weird thing is that i never really wanted to eat a lot of the SAD stuff around me, but since I always want to make people happy, I would agree to it because of them. now that i have something to explain my eating (an -ism!), i just go about my business. it’s great! i am starting to care less about worrying other people constantly, and starting to care more about taking care of myself! how nice!

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I really think it was the stress that was sapping you. If you’re eating a well-balanced raw diet, being 100 percent raw shouldn’t keep you devoid of strength. But stress is a killer.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

marichiesa—hm, you know i’ve never done it to a dvd. my yoga instrutor, mitchel bleir has a dvd coming out, but i’m not sure how breath focused it is.

refining the breath by doug keller gives excellent tips and breathing exercises. i’m reading it for my teacher training…

do you have a yoga studio near you? i’d research some yoga workshops that specifically focus on the breath, if you can’t attend a class regularly. a yoga teacher typically leads a class with verbal cues about the breath “inhale reach up” “exhale lower down” inhale stretch your legs back” etc…

let me know if that doesn’t work… i’ll try to think of something else.