Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Teff

After reading an article in Runners World about the super grain, I am wondering if any one incorporates it into their diet? We all know how fast Kenyan’s are..so if this is their secret I’d love for you to help me incorporate Teff into my raw lifestyle!

Comments

• CarnapCarnap Raw Newbie

I make bread. One zucchini, onion, some teff, oil, dehydrate.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Carnap, care to share the measurements for your bread? I'm always up for a good zucchini recipe. My mother always had loads of zucchini in her garden and made delicious breads. I really miss her breads . . . and her.

;) I hate to say, but I did not measure anything. I added one whole peeled zucchini, one onion, and half a bunch of coriander. You could play around with that and other veggies they please you.

As for the teff, I just poured some in. I'm so sorry I didn't measure. All I know is that it was no more than 1/2 cup because it has a strong flavor. I also used a bit of ground flax in case it wouldn't want to stick together in the dehydrator, and eough oil to keep things moving in the food processor.

So sorry to be vague. All I have to say is, if you are used to making buckwheat flatbreads, the buckwheat is usually one of the main ingredients. Here, the teff is not, because it has such a strong flavor.

Trust me, it will not be like your mother's bread! Teff is sort of bitter, and from the way you describe it, your mother's bread sounds soft and delicious!

• Does teff need to be sprouted? Thanks!

I use the flour, but you can sprout it if you want. The flour can be eaten raw.

• Gee, I don't consider Teff bitter. I think its kinda nutty. molasses essence. I have a dark Teff. The lighter teff will be more mild in flavor.

• What is Teff exactly? And I know there was one more sweetener that I've never heard of? Is it plant based?

• superfood2superfood2 Raw Newbie

teff is a grain.

• LilEarthMuffinLilEarthMuffin Raw Newbie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teff

SA-RAW i found some quick info on the Teff grain from wikipedia - it hope it answers some of your questions :)

• Thanks I will check it out!

• Can teff be eat uncooked?

• ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

I have heard of sprouting it. That might be the best way to eat teff raw? Sprouts are so incredibly nutritious as it is.