Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Thailand

Hey all—

This fall I will be studying abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand, and was wondering if anyone has ever been in that area.

I will have access to markets and grocery stores, but did you find anything particularly efficient or helpful in ways of getting and preparing raw meals, or buying raw meals at a market?

Comments

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Lucky Duck! Have a great time.

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

Awesome!!! Make sure you get some exotic fruits and veggies you’ve never tried before! And Thai coconuts and mangos. Lucky turd. lol

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

Jealous. But keep safe! I have heard it is no longer the safe utopia it used to be . :(

Oh I would love to have a Thai coconut right from where the originate!! And FRESH durian, Oh yeah mama!!!

• Oh yeah! I cannot wait to taste all the fresh scrumptious fruit :p I will have my first durian experience over there!

• Matt Monarch is in Thailand right now… http://mattmonarch.blogspot.com/

• You should take a look at Angela Stoke’s blog at rawreform.com. She writes about the challenges of eating raw and organic in Thailand.

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I was there last summer. I really loved Thailand. It’s a VERY SAFE place. I actually left my backpack with the cab driver so that I could have dinner without the load, knowing full well my backpack would be safe and sound. My husband once pretended to steal a friend’s bag while at the market, and nearly half a dozen people started yelling to stop him!! What a laugh! The main risk is in the south, where some people are framed into seaming drug-dealers. I actually know someone who was imprisoned for this. I still remember the full body massage I got at the massage school there! Make sure you cross over the border to Luang Prabang in Laos – so beautiful!! I took the slowboat from Pak Bang, a long but beautiful journey. We also crossed over into Myanmar – like going back in time 50 years compared to Thailand!! The produce is amazing, but all meals are cooked, so don’t expect to stay high raw unless you’re preparing your own meals. The food is of such wonderful, fresh quality that I wouldn’t dream of skipping on it simply cuz it’s cooked. I’d love to learn some cooking techniques from them :). I really love the open friendliness of the people there. I also visited a Giraffe village (rather sad if you ask me) and went on an elephant ride nearby. I envy you!!!

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

not according to a Thai freind of mine!! Also, a freind of mine from Vietnam wouldn’t go to Thailand right now!! Just saying be smart and safe.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

Ya, I lived in Thailand for a while, but south in HuaHin where I went to school, not way up north there in Chiang Mai. However, wherever you go, you will have an abundance of access to fresh fruit in various forms. Unfortunately it is all more expensive in Chiang Mai, but that means virtually nothing still! Everywhere, there are fruit “shakes” which is just blended fruit and ice! Something that is near the Laotian border/north is apple pears with a packet of SPIIIICEY spice that you kind of dip slices into.

I was not raw while living there, but was basically raw unintentionally from eating so much fruit and living on a budget. What I’m going to say though is that you should still try eating the non-raw foods of Thailand, because it is heavenly, and still very possible to stay vegan and at the cery least cegetarian. IF I find out you went to THailand and did not get padthai off of the street at least 3 times, I will come hunt you down and scold you very harshly. ;) Also, food will often be shared with you, and you should accept, no matter if it is raw or not. PLEASE for the love of god, don’t get too caught up in the raw thing while you’re there, you will miss out not only on the tastes but on much of the experience.

DOn’t make schedules. Bargain. Bargain more. And don’t make schedules. And eat lots of fruit. And don’t wear a watch, it’s useless once you go a couple hours south of BKK. And stay as budget as possible for a full experience. OK I’m gonna shut up now!

Chok di

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I went to Thailand years ago when I was 18, what a fantastic place!! You’re going to get some of the best fruit on the planet. I was cooked vegan at the time and ate very, very well, mainly raw too…oh, the people there are so amazing, so friendly, and the men are just so gentle and beautiful I went with 3 girlfriends and we each fell in love with a new man everyday!! Have a great time!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Wow Zoe your making me want to go to Thailand!

So what kinds of fruits are available in Thailand?

ohhhh MAN rawkidchef! EVERYTHING! pineapple, mangos, mangosteens, durians, lychee, pears, coconuts, the best non-hybrid true-to-size and full of glorious seeds BANANAS (i lived on bananas for 3 whole days once when I was low on money!), the sweetest watermelon you’ve ever tasted, plums, and REAL oranges that have a green peel and not the orange artificial waxed hybrid kind we have here! I can still taste everything in my mouth, plus everything tastes 10 times better because it’s hot and it is so satisfying to every cell and thought in your body!

ok, group field trip to Thailand!

:)

Sharkbite—where are you studying? what school?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

OMG Bethechange YOURKIDDING ME!!! HAHAH Seriously! Okay, I think we all need to move to Thailand together. How ‘bout it? :)