Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

TACOS!

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I was hungry and starting to get mean…I had romaine leaves and some salsa so I made tacos!

The “meat” was carrots, a small handful of soaked pumpkin seeds and sea salt; everything food processed into a ground texture. I used more carrots to seeds.

Then I just piled it on a beautiful romaine leaf, and topped with SPICY salsa, rolled up, and ate!

I’m TOTALLY buzzing about this, because I haven’t had tacos since being raw, and I was a Mexican food FREAK back in the day! These tacos were sooo simple and sooo delicious and completely satisfied me, in a way that I haven’t felt satisfied in months! I kept going back for another romaine leaf and stuff, haha.

I’m just so thrilled to have discovered the glory that is raw tacos.

How do you make your tacos?! What do you put in them?

Comments

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

sounds great Moth, I like to make flat bread and put fillings inside, also cabbage leaves are really nice too!

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I make taco shells out of corn, flax, bell pepper and other spices. I use Sarma’s taco recipe from Spicy Bean Tacos.

Sometimes I make the spicy bean filling, other times I just put greens in it with a dressing of some sort. Yum.

I also tried the enchilada recipe from Alissa… that could be dehydrated into a crispy taco shell. I haven’t tried her filling… but, this taco recipe could use less flax because it sticks all over your teeth. I haven’t put anything in these…I just eat them as chips.

• have_merseyhave_mersey Raw Newbie

mm! Yours sound good. I am a mexican food freak too. :) Onions and mushrooms are what I use. yum! Romaine is great. It works as a tortilla replacement, bread replacement…it’s just great. I will have to try yours as soon as I locate some raw pumpkin seeds. I just thinly slice my carrots and put them on as extra, but your idea sounds better. :)

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Yes, I think if you blend a cup of soaked flax seed with 1/2 avocado, they make great tortillas.

Oooo. Sounds simple and easy. I’m going to try the avocado flax!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

MMm this thread is making me hungry! My taco ingredients are: guacamole, raw black olives, pico de gallo wrapped in romaine lettuce.

Sarma’s taco “meat” sounds tasty!! Thanks for the recommendation – I can give it a try.

I enjoy romaine as my tortilla, because using a dehydrated shell feels too HEAVY when you’ve got avocados and sunflower seed ‘meat’.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

I posted a recipe called Juans Tacos Flacos, I use butternut or yam for the filling, those are my favorites. I also really like Pico de Gallo with added corn on mine.

daniefon, when you say “yam” do you really mean sweet potato? Because in the U.S. yam can also mean sweet potato. But, in other countries… yam is yam… totally different from sweet potato.

I remember seeing your Juan’s Tacos Flacos… they caught my attention. Loved the name. (Hey, I used to live in the Dallas area too.)

• Luna bluLuna blu Raw Newbie

I do this with collard greens. They make perfect taco shells! I usually do a walnut taco meat, guacamole, corn salsa, and a cashew sour cream. All raw, all yum!!!

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I do romaine leaves with: a sunflower seed “bean” filling, salsa, avocados or guac, raw Morroccan olives, and cashew sour cream when I have the time/energy/desire for really good tacos. Other times, I do the sunflower seed filling, tomatoes, avocados, lime juice & salt, but it is never quite as good, so I’ve started buying fresh organic salsa at a health food store, and I mix a little of it with avocados to make my guac. That way I get the good stuff & don’t have to spend as much time all at once. When I am eating these often, I make everything once and then make each thing again as I run out. I have also layered the stuff in a glass pan like a layered bean dip and serve it with cucumber & jicama slices… Yummy! I even took the dip to a family potluck with some regular corn tortilla chips, and no one knew :)

• I had almost raw tacos for lunch with bella mushroom slices marinated in aminos and oil, for meat. Nut cheese for cheese, and avacados, tomatoes, and sprouts! The sprouts are a mixture I got from the health food store, with clover, alfalfa, fenugreek and radish! It is by the company – NOW, and is an excellent mix. I love picking out the radish and tasting that tiny bite of zing! Any way, I put it all on warm corn torillas. I hope to find a tortilla recipe when I finally get a dehydrator.