Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Growing your own food?

I’m very interested in growing some of my own food. I was wondering if anyone does this or has tried it and how it worked out? and was it worth it? Thanks!

Comments

• I try to garden every year. I love it. There is something amazing about the taste of food you’ve raised yourself. And eating stuff right out of the garden – unbelievable! It’s cheaper, tastier and better for you AND the planet. I highly recommend. If you don’t have the yard space, many fruits and vegetables can be grown in pots.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i am using my neighbor’s plot this year (she has sweetly offered me a little space). i am so excited! yes, it’s SO worth it, because food is at its nutritional peak right when it’s ripe, right before it’s picked. each second afterwards it slowly starts to lose… so eating straight from the garden is the best you can do! =)

does anyone know what plants are the best yield, for the least amount of work and space? i am going to be planting 12 lettuces, 5 fennel bulbs, a cherry tomato plant… any suggestions? i live in CT, if that helps.

• daniefondaniefon Raw Newbie

i have a huge garden right now, here, in Texas, squash is a huge producer. I have plants that aren’t fully grown yet with 10 squashes on them. My kales are growing very well too. Arugula is easy and fast. Eggplants are big producers I’ve already picked two and I just put them in about a month ago!

• I live in an apartment and will be making the attempt to grow my own food for the first time. I will be using the Square Foot Gardening method developed by Mel Bartholomew. I am starting with a 2’X 4’ self contained box that I can raise up on a folding table or a couple of saw horses. I am just waiting for my seeds and will be able to get my garden going. I also live in Texas and am delighted that we have such a long growing season here. I’m even going to attempt growing some of the smaller honeydews. I can’t wait to plant my square foot garden. The thought of nurturing my own food is just really a big blessing.

• If you search the web you will find a lot of info. It is worthly and rewarding and you’ll know exactly what you’re putting in your mouth.

You can check this link, it has pretty good info. http://www.gardengirltv.com/gardening.php

• I’ve planted my first garden this spring, but I’m still waiting for my first harvest. I’m using containers, I found most of my info on the web, just do a search for “container vegetable garden” and go from there. A good website I found was http://www.gardenguides.com/how-to/tipstechniqu… I also went to a used bookstore and bought a book on vegetable gardening, which has also given me some useful info. I planted lettuce, spinach, and carrots. One tip I already have learned is DON’T OVERCROWD. I tried adding a tomato plant (an heirloom, got the transplant from the farmer’s market) and a couple squashes to the pot, thinking my smaller plants would be ready to pick before the big plants were too large. Big mistake, they have already totally overtaken the pot and my carrot plants are still tiny.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Great post. When I do get my outdoor garden, I will have to remember these! Squash, kale… cilantro… all the easy ones to grow. I don’t have a green thumb.

Someone posted about Square Foot Gardening. Looks interesting. And Aquaponics

• Thanks great ideas!! My step dad isn’t raw but he wants to do it too. so with the two of us I think we should be able to handle it. I’m really excited now. mmmm growing fresh cilantro sounds wonderful!!!

• VanleeuwenVanleeuwen Raw Newbie

I also plant vegetables and herbs in my garden. I have tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, basil, eggplants, rosemary and thyme, among others. I believe that growing your own food is not only healthier, it will also help you save money. Because you don’t go to the grocery store that much, you can save on fuel consumption as well. There are other benefits to growing your own herbs and vegetables as well and these include:
    (1) freshness and better flavour,
    (2) zero chemicals,
    (3) food safety and
    (4) food waste reduction.

Harmony1
  • TammiTrueTammiTrue Raw Master

Some years I have a big garden, some years it's on the small side. I always have my mint growing. It's great in so many recipes.

I have been very lucky in the years that I've had the time to invest in a larger garden. I always end up producing more than I can ever eat and end up giving part of the summer harvest away to friends, family and neighbors, 

• Harmony1Harmony1 Raw Superstar

What hemisphere are you in? It's almost time to get planting in some places. 

• mformariamformaria Raw Newbie

Yes go for it! I started my first garden last year when we moved from an apartment to a house with a small yard. My biggest tip is to just be okay with making mistakes and don't try to be perfect.

It's better to spend 10 or 15 minutes every day than several hours once a week. This is because constant maintenance is best for picking weeds (if you don't want to spray chemicals) trimming down growth and checking on progress. I made this mistake and got kind of a messy garden as a result.

Also take the time and effort to build a really good soil. there's lots of tips out there how to do this.

Even though I didn't give my veggie garden the constant eye it needed it rewarded me with lots of tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, baby watermelons, and squash. 

Good luck and keep us updated :)

ClaireT
  • ClaireTClaireT Raw Master

What do you do about garden pests? That has always been my biggest hurdle with keeping 100% organic. It's all fun and games until half the garden gets eaten before harvest! 

• toddhtoddh Raw Newbie

In addition to getting good seeds, you must make sure your plants get adequate sunlight and water. If you are worried about pests, you can surround your plants with a small fence and use a safe pesticide. You can either use a pot or grow your plants in the ground. Find out what the ideal time for growing plants in your area is.