Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

SOUR buckwheat bread (yuck)

Hello,

I just made a batch of sprouted buckwheat bread:

- 2 cups pumpkin - 1 carrot - 1 apple - 2 cups buckwheat (sprouted measurement) - 1/2 cu golden flax seed - 1/8 cu agave nectar - 1/4 cup EVOO - assorted spices: nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon

When I came home last night, the dehyrdator was still going and my apartment smelled like spoiled milk. The bread tasted just as sour, too!

Does anyone have any insight as to what may have happened?

Thanks!!

Comments

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

hey there, there was actually another forum on this recently: here’s what people said

=)

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

What is evoo?

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

evoo = extra virgin olive oil

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Buckwheat can spoil quickly. Your bread basically fermented in the long slow heat. That’s why I tend to use quicker drying times.

• Hello,

Thanks everyone. I also checked out the other forum on this subject (thanks pianissima).

I think I may have been making the bread too “tall” (almost 1 inch this time), and therefore requiring longer drying times…which led to fermentation. Thanks for all the help! I’ll keep trying, with more success I’m sure the next time.

• grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

I was having the same problem with everything going sour. I threw away 4 projects in a row because they all went sour. The dehydrating temperatures in all the recipe books don’t work. If you read the book from excalibur (optional with the dehydrator) it says you can start things at 145 for 2 or 3 hours and the internal temperature of the food will not get hot enough to destroy the enzymes because it takes quite a while for the food to reach the temperature of the air inside the dehydrator. Gabriel Cousins in one of his books says to start at 135. After 2 or 3 hours (depending on the thickness and density of the food) I turn it down to around 120. To monitor the temperature, I bought a digital oven thermometer. Just monitor the temperature of the food by sticking the thermometer inside it every hour or 2 until you get comfortable with the technique. You can play around with the temperatures you use as well. I made a rye pumpernickel bread this way and it came out great, just like the manna breads from Whole Foods with no sour taste whatsoever.