Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

airplane travel

bittbitt Raw Newbie

since all my family lives on the east coast i have to travel by airplane a lot. i really would like to pack some fresh food to take with me but those darn regulations are really restrictive. has anyone tried to get a doctor’s note to get permission to bring a cold pack on the plane?

or, how long do salads last? i could bring a salad and some frozen fruit that would keep it cold for awhile. i do eat nuts but I need some water-based foods too. all dehydrated foods is not going to work for me.

also, i hate the water restrictions because then it is $3 for water in the airport.

any ideas?

Comments

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I don’t know about the doctor’s note, but frozen stuff would keep the other food cold longer, and maybe you could bring it in something insulated? For water, I would say drink extra water every day for a week before you’re going to fly, and then you won’t have to buy as much water in the airport – I’m thinking of this because a man we knew who did wilderness survival classes/expeditions would have everyone drink a gallon per day of water for a week before they went so they wouldn’t get dehydrated, so I’m thinking that a similar idea could work for travel days? Although you probably wouldn’t need/want to drink that much extra if it’s just for a day of flying :)

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

bitt~ A few suggestions…

• Bring cucumbers with you on the plane… contains lots of water, keeps well without refrigeration, cleansing… and/or carrots…
    • For good water, anytime, anywhere… What about a water bottle that has a filter included? This way you can fill the bottle anywhere (no hassle boarding the plane with an empty bottle) and have as much filtered water as you want anytime. Feel free to contact me if you are interested in this option… I have a great one!

Healthy and safe traveling…

PS. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER take Durian on a plane! On another thread (search keyword “Durian”), someone mentioned they did just that and the plane was delayed because the crew thought there was some type of problem with the plane (a gas leak or something). Not good!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

that’s funny! i have not even tried a durian yet so don’t worry. cucumber is a great idea. i have seen water bottles with a filter. i will have to look into it.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

bitt! – Why don’t you take your food with you… and a nice mini cooler carry on with only food (no ice, water). When you cross security, ask for a cup of ice or two… and put it in your cooler. That’s what I’ve done.

haha about the durian… well, maybe not funny at the time.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I have to find a durian and smell it. I saw a video someone posted on this site about a hotel that had signs in it saying you could not bring it into the hotel. How do people eat this stuff if it smells so rank? It really has me curious.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Someone took some to work the other day… it really smelled. A few Vietnamese prefer frozen durian ice cream over fresh durian… maybe it’s because of the lack of smell when frozen. guessing

• suryadayasuryadaya Raw Newbie

I fly constantly for work and get severely dehydrated up in the air (usually up there for 10 hours total on flight days). I drink like three glasses of water before I even leave home, and maybe make a smoothie; take apples and cucumbers with me, or oranges. When I’m on the plane usually I’ll get water from the beverage cart or occasionally apple juice even though I know its probably not very ‘clean’. Sometime’s I’ll buy salads pre-emptively at the airport for the first leg of my flight.

If I don’t stay hydrated consciously I will seriously eat EVERYTHING whenever I change flights. It doesn’t matter what it is. Last time I flew I started out in a region where the local water was unsafe and the price of bottled water was tremendous. I got water on the plane but by then it was just too late for me! I had a monster cookie, chips, an apple, apple juice. Then when i landed (three hour layover) I bought a croissant, a parfait, a greek salad and a vegi wrap (I stopped myself from getting chinese food and a hamburger). On the second leg of my flight, surprise, I was sick. So I ended up not eating anything because I had terrible cramps. haha.

Harmony1
  • angie207angie207 Raw Master

suryadaya – That’s true – it is very easy to confuse thirst for hunger and not make the best decisions about what goes into the mouth :) heeheehee Sorry, I’m not laughing at your pain, but at the ridiculousness of some things I do just because I didn’t plan ahead, lol.

Harmony1
  • pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

i’m with bluedolphin—CUCUMBERS! celery is great too. don’t cut them up as they will start to lose water with on board.

happy travels!

Harmony1
  • sardarabdulahadsardarabdulahad Raw Newbie
    edited December 2022

I totally understand how frustrating it can be to try to stick to your healthy diet when traveling. I haven't tried to get a doctor's note for a cold pack, but I have heard of people doing that for those with medical needs. As far as bringing salads and frozen fruit, those usually last a few hours, depending on the temperature outside. Another option could be to look into reusable ice packs. They may not last as long as a cold pack, but they could help keep your food cold until you get to your destination. I didn't have any problems.

ClaireT
  • tobyrtobyr Raw Newbie
    edited May 2023

I also hate the water restrictions and the high prices for bottled water at airports. One thing I like to do is bring an empty water bottle with me and fill it up at a water fountain once I'm through security. It saves money and reduces plastic waste. As for your question about water-based foods, have you considered packing some cut-up veggies like cucumber, celery, or bell peppers? They're refreshing and hydrating, and they won't spoil as quickly as fruits. 

ClaireTHarmony1