Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Using Stevia as a Sweetener

Wisdom Natural Brands of Gilbert, AZ, recently introduced their new and improved SweetLeaf Sweetener – which is the first Stevia Sweetener with GRAS Status (GRAS is an FDA designation of food safety). SweetLeaf Brands have the only Stevia product with all natural soluble fiber. SweetLeaf is zero calorie, zero carb, zero glycemic index, and safe for diabetics and PKU sufferers. And now that it has GRAS we will be able to find it (or ask for it) both in Mass and Natural grocery stores – which makes it much more convenient. I had to share this information, because I know a lot of people like Stevia, but are wary of brands.

Although this is not considered “Raw”, it definitely should be included in the pantry along with Agave Nectar and Organic Grade B Maple Syrup. SweetLeaf is completely natural from plant, to harvest, and to its process which is done with only purified water. This is a new process that is completely free of any chemicals, solvents, alcohol or enzymes. That to me is pretty pure! I know some individuals prefer to grow their own, and that

Comments

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

thanks for the info but I get so confused about stevia’s naturalness because it just never taste’s natural to me. I get the same reaction to stevia that I use to get to other artificial sweetners before I stopped using them about 10 years ago

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

I was getting bad hot flashes when I was taking Stevia. I woke up three times at night and would have to drink ice water or reduce my clothes. I attributed it to my age. I quit taking the Stevia in February. The hot flashes went away at the same time.

Based on that, I believe it could be dangerous and we just don’t have the info on it today. It’s best to reduce the chemicals in your diet not increase them.

• I’m sorry to hear about the bad reaction. What brand did you use? I have found that the brands are very different from one another. Also, since Stevia is three hundred times sweeter than sugar, it’s important to start out with small amounts so you don’t get a bitter after taste, or an overwhelming sweeteness that becomes yuk! A little goes a very long way when it comes to Stevia. I mean it when I say that the new brand of SweetLeaf Sweetener (an upgrade from the former Sweetleaf SteviaPlus packets), the taste is much better than before. There has been extensive research done on Stevia, and it’s safety and benefits. I really do believe that it’s how the Stevia is processed, and what the filler is that’s being used with the Stevia for resale. That is why brand is very, very important.

• I have been growing stevia plants, so I can confirm that the sweetness is natural, the leaves taste lovely and make a nice addition to herbal tea. I wonder if there is something in the processed kind that created a bad reaction.

Does anyone have any advice about how to replace agave syrup in recipes with stevia? I assume that getting the sweetness won’t be a problem but the agave has a lovely goo-ey stickiness which holds things together. I need to reduce the agave because of needing to ‘release’ my weight (I want to release it, it doesn’t seem to want to go!).

• I personaly love stevia and I believe that it keeps me off of SAD. I don’t consider myself 100% raw although I am close. I am not trying to “be” anything anyway. I just want to stay healthy and I try to look at the big picture. As for as the sticky thing, I have not found a solution for that one. I do use raw honey or dates but not too often. www.adashofrosemary.blogspot.com

• amberablueamberablue Raw Newbie

as long as natural stevia herb is being used, it IS raw. this is the green powder you can buy at some natural food and herb stores (or you can a plant as romany mentioned). it’s a bit earthy, but is much nicer and smoother than the extracts. it’s also considerably cheaper if you get it in bulk at an herb store.

romany: i used stevia in cooked recipes before going fully raw. i would use stevia and applesauce together. in raw foods the stevia alone is sweet enough for most recipes.