How long do smoothies and juices last?

AziahAziah Raw Newbie

My kids sometimes only drink part of their smoothies…are they salvageable? Can I put them in the fridge and drink them later? If so, how long?

For fresh juices, can I make them in advance and keep them in the fridge? IF so, for how long?

Comments

• We make green smoothies daily. When my daughter cannot finish hers, we put it in a mason jar in the refrigerator. She usually drinks the rest by the end of the day. There have been one or two times, the smoothie was not drank until the next day.

According to Victoria Boutenko, author of “Green for Life”....

Storage of Green Smoothies

While fresh is best, green smoothies will keep in cool temperatures for up to three days.

According to Steve Meyerowitz, author of “Juice Fasting & Detoxification”.....

The following could be applied to smoothies as well as juices.

Fresh is best. Freshly made juice is highly perishable. Any contact with light, heat and air, even at room temperature, commences the process of oxidation.

However, ‘cold’ is the key word in storage. You can make enough juice for the whole day or even a couple of days if you can keep it cold enough. The object is to keep the juice as cold as possible without freezing. This means 35 to 38 degrees F. Use a dark, sterile glass bottle that has been pre-chilled. Fill your juice right up to the top so as to reduce the presence of air and oxidation. If you keep your jar sealed, it will stay for about three days. Once you start opening and closing the jar, pouring from it and replacing it in the refrigerator, the contact with air, light and heat commences oxidation, which continues, albeit at a slower rate, even in the refrigerator. The more you open and close the jar, the faster the juice will deteriorate

Frozen juice is not as preferable as fresh, nevertheless it is another alternative. The process of freezing and thawing destroys some fragile vitamins, enzymes, and cell factors. It is not as nearly as destructive as pasteurization, canning, or irradiating. Frozen juice still taste good and it is better than buying bottled juices at the store. It is one level removed from being totally fresh and alive. Freeze only if you have more juice than you can drink, or if circumstances deem it the best alternative.

The juicing machine plays a role. Not all machines are equal. Better machines are able to extract more live nutrients, enzymes and anti-oxidants which act like preservatives and keep the juice stable and extend its life.

However, I have read it is best to drink your juice within fifteen minutes of juicing, due to oxidation.

• As simply raw said, fresh juices are always best, but there are a few you can store without much problem. Fruit juices tend to stay a lot better than vegetable juices, and generally, the more acidity the fruit has, the longer it will stay. I can usually keep orange or grapefruit juice for 4-5 days in the fridge, and other fruit juices (strawberry, mango) about 2-3 days. Make sure you keep all juices in a airtight GLASS container. Plastic makes things rot faster, and adds that awful taste and smell to your juice.

For any vegetable juices, I would say just finish them as quick as you can, hopefully within one day.