Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

LaraBar Recipe: HELP!

kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

Hey.. anyone know how to make a good version of the pecan pie larabar.. thanks!

Comments

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Good Question. I assume the obvious – that you put the ingredients written on the wrapper (only organic, as Larabars are conventional) in a food processor. But I would like some help with the relative quantities/methods if anyone has done it before. Or ways to make it taste better.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

wow I didn’t realize that Larabars were conventional. We’re paying nearly $2 for conventional? Strange. Well, after I use up the 150+ bars that I bought, then I’ll make my own organic ones.

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

I’m sure you are right thecavsman but unfortunatley I can’t find the pecan pie one anywhere in town but I’ve had it before and love it so if anyone’s got one floating around..

http://www.funkyraw.com/shop/index.php?main_pag…

According to that link, it only has those 3 ingredients. Other links say the same. Here’s another. http://www.vitacost.com/Humm-Foods-Larabar-Peca… (look at the very bottom of nutrition facts)

Yeah, only the larger stores have Pecan as it’s probably the 8th most popular flavor they make. I too can’t believe that they don’t just go out and make them organic. I guess they’d be priced at or above $1.50 (I see them for $(1.25-1.39) but it would be well worth it.

If anyone knows good Larabar quantity recipes, please let me know. I don’t feel like experimenting if I don’t have to.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I make the Cashew Cookie Larabar all the time, but I haven’t made any other flavors. The recipe is posted here: Cashew Cookie Larabars

I didn’t know Larabars were conventional, either! What in the world? lol

• I know there is a LARA BAR recipe on this site but I think its cashew cookie….

I am all bummed out that they use conventional, when I first went RAW they were a life saver if I forgot my lunch. OH WELL>>>>

Let me not go starting rumors. I assume they are not organic because they just say “almonds, dates, pecans” etc. They brag about not having GMO, about not having sodium, about being raw, and a few other things. And we know that everyone brags about organic and puts that USDA seal on all organic produce. Live Revolution Bars for example, do this – and every ingredient is listed as organic. They print the word organic about 30 times on the wrapper. So that’s why I assume it’s conventional.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

I took a look at the Larabar website and this was in the FAQs:

“Why is L

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

thank you everyone for your suggestions.. khaas ladki I will try your recipe idea.. sounds about right to me

• I just started making these…

For 2 Lara Bars:

1/4 C nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews… or combination) 1/4 C dried fruit (I use raisins) 1/4 C chopped dates 1/8 t cinnamon

Process the fruit and dates. Then process the nuts and cinnamon. Push it all together and mix it up. Put it in the fridge to firm or eat as is.

I like the cinnamon roll lara bar and this tastes just like it… only fresher! And there is no controversy over it’s rawness!

• I believe some of their bars made with cacao/chocolate say they are organic, but ironically, those particular ones are not 100% raw … so you have to decide whether you want organic or raw. And, I assume the nuts are pasteurized.

Can’t help with the recipe, but I do know that the ingredients are listed in descending order of weight.

Let us know how they turn out!

• sarawsaraw Raw Newbie

I’d start by processing the nuts, and spices, then add enough dates until it makes a good paste to shape into bars. I make similar cookie type things like this a lot. I like using almonds and raisins, flax, cinnamon, and raw honey or agave.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

I had a look at the ingredients the other day and it’s just nuts and dates really, sometimes a few spices and chocolate thrown it. I would use 1 cup fruit to every 1/2 cup of nuts and add cinnamon, coconut, chocolate for variety.

• FeeFee Raw Master

I think they usually give percentages for most of the ingredients, so I work on making 100grams worth. If for example it was 40% pecans, dates, 20% almonds and apple then you would know that the percentage of dates must be between 40 and 20 and the apple must be less than 20%. I would then use 40g of pecans, 20g of almonds and then about 30g of dates and 10g of apple and then see how that was. If you wanted to make 200g then just double all the percentages and so on! This is how I work out making Nakd bars which are a Uk version of Lara Bars. Hope this helps.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

has anyone else noticed that some of the bars now say “unheated” rather than “raw”?

• Nope ever since Cavsman hit me with there not organic which I never questioned because I thought of them as being a revolutionary raw item that could be found anywhere, I haven’t bothered to even bye them or look at them at the store. I think it’s just way to easy to make your own LARA bar-ish kind of treats yourself. Plus I hated the way there almonds tasted and they were so hard, I never could get that.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I think it says “unheated” because they now use some ingredients that aren’t raw (probably nuts) but then they don’t heat the bar…like nama shoyu is made from cooked soybeans but is “unpasteurized.”