Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Acid Reflex

Help! Well…it’s not me that has the problem Duh I eat raw!!! But my friend is having trouble with acid reflex disease. She doesn’t eat raw but I was wondering if there are foods that help cure ARD. Also if anyone has experieced a major change after becoming raw please share your experience so that maybe I can inspire her to eat healthier. Thanks for all the help.

Comments

• southernloversouthernlover Raw Newbie

I had it so bad that I had to sleep sitting up, and I had stomach ulcers for 2 years. Went raw, and after 2 weeks, no more reflux. Yay, I can sleep flat again. :)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I had reflux disease badly, damage from medications. Even when I stopped them, there was no relief. Scarring internally, vomiting acid into my mouth in the middle of sleep at night, it was horrible. I did not eat junk or drink alcohol, either(like many people I kow who have supposed acid reflux)

I started raw and went into it with everything I had, almost 100 percent and never had an attack again. None! My own feelings are that your body(for whatever reason) seems to recognize raw food as FOOD and responds appropriately, with proper amounts of stomach acid and bile, instead of going insane as with cooked foods and pouring out fluids in an attempt to dissolve whatever is in the stomach. You know, when we ingest nonfood items like dirt, our stomachs try to dissolve it the same way. I know my analogy is crude but I feel cooked foods hit us the same way, with our digestive systems more or less trying to cleanse itself rather than digest.

• Acid reflux disease is not really a disease. It was really just invented by the pharmaceutical companies to prescribe a prescription drug for what is really just bad heartburn. Most people who get heartburn can tell exactly what foods cause their heartburn, so the solution is pretty damn simple: STOP eating those foods. It is not necessary for your friend to become a raw foodist, but she should avoid foods that are “food-like substances” (read Michael Pollan’s In Defense of Food). Whole, light cooked foods should not cause these problems.

rishiFromRoshis, yes and no, I think the majority of people who are diagnosed with Acid Reflux are just eating poorly. However, I had stomach lining and esophageal damage from medications(Zoloft) and have the photos to prove it. Also, I’m not a stupid pig who chugs alcohol and meat and then cries about it.

But I do agree that many(if not most) of the so-called Acid Reflux diagnosises are phoney and due to poor diet, cooked foods, emotional stress and plain ordinary gluttony.

And light, cooked foods will certainly distress real acid reflux disease.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

Here are some foods and supps your friend can use for acid reflux (I’ve attached a link as well):

http://www.goneraw.com/forums/7/topics/4404

Most people suffering from GERD have low stomach acid, so there

achin70 has me remembering something now. SEveral years ago, when I started to have severe acid reflux problems from meds eating my stomach lining, I started to culture kefir. If I took a couple of ounces with a meal and sat up, I had much, much less sickness and less vomiting while asleep. Now, I know most folks here are vegan so I’m not in any way pushing milk, but some people make kefir “water”, fermenting with water and raisins. I wonder if it would have the same beneficial affect. Just a thought.

• Thanks for all the advise. I will be sure to tell my friend. Alix1962, how do you make kefir out of water and raisins. Please let me know. Also, my friend was advised by her doctor to not eat citrus. It this stupid? Or should she listen? Also she was told to avoid chocolate. Would cocoa powder with no fat be ok? Please let me know, I just want her to get better. Also, has anyone had any success with kombucha tea? If you have any more advise, it would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

You could take 1 tsp up to 2 T. of raw apple cider vinegar. Swig it down and the acid reflux will be gone within 30 seconds (that’s what worked for me, it was a miracle! I couldn’t believe it!)...if you don’t like the taste, you can put it in a little bit of warm water with honey in it. Make sure to brush your teeth following this so the vinegar doesn’t damage the tooth enamel.

Also, green smoothies should stop reflux or at least help immensely. Saw it end with 2 people within 2 weeks. For them it ended acid reflux, sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, depression, coughing (from a tumor on the thyroid which stopped growing in size), and blood sugars regulated for the 2 I know. They were having 1 quart each, every day, sometimes another quart if they wanted more.

Last suggestion is take vegetarian enzymes. We use the ones from Hippocrates Institute. I’ve heard that the ones from Hallelujah Acres are great too.

• grassdudegrassdude Raw Newbie

I used to get acid reflux every day. I couldn’t sleep at night without taking a zantax pill. Heartburn was a daily occurance and at night sometimes I would regurgitate acid into my throat and couldn’t breath. It was pretty scary sometimes. After going raw and drinking lots of vegetable juices it went away completely in about 2 weeks. If you read my profile, I also had extremely high blood sugar (type 2 diabetes) which has gradually been reversed over the last 2 1/2 months since going raw. My blood sugar went from 390 to readings between 99 and 106 as of this week. Pretty amazing stuff. I don’t think there is a magic bullet that will stop acid reflux. It has to be a complete change of diet, not necesseraly all raw but at least part raw and vegetarian or vegan whole grain/whole food. Your friend must be willing to change.

• I get this terrible stuff every time I go off of RAW and back to SAD. I’ve had it on and off all my life. Medicine they put me on made me worse so went off it and saw a Chinese Herbalist who got ride of my problems for me from some herbs. But really what stops it dead in it’s tracks for me was always green drinks and still is. Had it bad a couple of weeks ago. Went on a SAD breakfast binge for awhile and would wake up with it in my throat at night. Went back RAW and started right away drinking Green smoothies and drinks. Started popping my enzymes and papaya tablets to help it work faster too. Also did lemon and cayenne pepper again in the morning. Right away I was fine.

GREEN JUICES..best thing ever, works every time.

Tiny1, hi. Here is a link to a man I think is THE god of kefir. http://users.chariot.net.au/dna/Makekefir.html…

He’s an awesome sweet person. That link should bring you to the water kefir recipe but I would read all of the site on kefir. And of course, don’t feel like you have to ingest milk kefir. I used to grow the kefir “grains” all the time but I stopped a couple of years ago, unfortunately, or else I would send you a load of clean grains for free. However, there is a huge, huge list of people across the country that give them away or sometimes sell them for a small charge. Also, it’s possible you have someone near you who cultures grains.

Do NOT buy that filth in a box that is sold in health stores and across the net. It’s a lie that stuff provides everything the real grains do. Stay away from it, I don’t care who sells it.

On chocolate, well, I can’t eat it often because even the so called “raw” chocolate and cocoa makes me flood with stomach acid and I’ll bring it up within minutes.