Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

are rawguru.com's almonds REALLY raw?

nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

I read on zoe’s site that almonds from california are not raw as of 2007 yet this site lists raw almonds from California….it’s a raw site, so I am quite sure they know the difference—can anyone help me? I want to place an order tonight from a site online, and one site that was recommended requires a 100 dollar minimum, and I just don’t have that right now, so was hoping to order elsewhere. And sunfood.com doesn’t have any almonds in stock, and I wanted to get all my nuts from one site to save shipping.

thanks for any help!

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

they are actually from natural zing, even though rawgury sells them. I bought them for some time. even if they are raw, they are dried to temperatures that know one knows. even if it says “heated under 115”, why would you want a nut that is heated at all? And even if it doesn’ say it is heated, it still could be. You basically can’t get really raw nuts unless you have a nut tree. Even David Wolfe’s “really raw” cashews may not be raw at all because of the drying issue.

However, if you need almonds soon I suggest getting them from rawguru because that’s the best there is.

I believe that Real Raw Foods, which is the other place with the 100 dollar minimum, might sell truly raw nuts, from what people say they are juicy and I would trust that site for when you have the money. I trust that sight because it is in canada and there isn’t so uch corruption there in terms ofnthe rawness of nuts.

I believe that Zoe is right, even though I have no idea whether that’s true or not, but she wouldn’t lie.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Yeah, you might want to email the rawguru guy about that. Technically sale of raw Unpasteurized almonds from california is not legal anymore unless you get them straight from the farm (I am lucky to live in cali and the farmers market near me has unpasteurized ones) – there are a few sites who say they are still going to have them. I used to have a list.

Check out Living Tree community foods – they say that they will continue to offer unpasteurized almonds. They also sell other nuts so if you are just shopping for nuts you can buy all your nuts through them.

http://www.livingtreecommunity.com/store2/produ…

RawKidChef – I have bought nuts from David, rawguru and naturalzing and I honestly think they all get their nuts from the same place – I get the same packaging for the most part – Natural zing changes theirs. Esp the cashews. :)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I agree, I’ve noticed that some of the raw stores all get their foods from the same distributors(if I can use that word)

I got very bad, highly oxidized(rancid) packages of pecans from Natural Zing and since I think perhaps it might be a distributor problem, I’m just going to get my almonds directly from a farm in California or just get more from Raw From the Farm. Yes they tend to be a bit unbeautiful but they are clean, raw and very nice. The thing is, Raw From the Farm does not sell old, rancid nuts so right now they are out of things like pecans(drat!!) So I settle for more almonds and some walnuts. Even though they are from fall harvest, they have really been stored cool, which other stores are often NOT doing, no matter what they say.

Actually, when my new site goes up, and even though it’ll be the Arts, I’d like to have some pages for raw foodies to share information on sources, whether they be stores or farms, so less people are taken advantage of. I’m becoming distressed by some of the things I’m seeing from the “stars” of the raw food world(not all, of course, just some have no ethics, like with all businesses)

I thought it would be nice to have that and maybe owners could address problems more easily, too, although Im not really sure if I want professionals at all on it . . .

• KevlarKevlar Raw Newbie

If websites are re-selling raw almonds they bought from growers, they’re doing it illegally. I’m guessing they’re just lying to you though.

If you want really raw almonds, you can order them directly from the grower here: http://www.almonds-from-california.com/cgi-bin/...

They’re selling 10 lb bags for $60 with free shipping (that’s $6 per pound.) I already ordered a batch and was very satisfied.

Here’s what they have to say about the “rawness” of their almonds: http://www.wholesale-almonds.com/#Are%20Your%20Almonds%20Pasteurized

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

SUBSTITUTE: You can replace Almonds in any recipe with a mixture of 2/3 Sunflower Seeds and 1/3 Pine Nuts. Soak the Sunflower Seeds for at least 5 hours and then let them drain for another few hours before using them. The sunflower seed will begin to sprout and will need to be fridged after they drain well. They will sprout in the fridge, just slower. If the tails on them get too long they will change the mix texture and it will not match the Almonds any longer.

Lovebows, Chris

ps. It’s cheaper too!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Easy way to check if they are raw is to try and sprout them. They won’t sprout if they are not raw. Soak overnight and then leave out on your kitchen top, rinse twice a day, check for the pointy end to change and a little white nub starts to peep out through a lip which emerges out of the nut. There’s probably a photo of what this looks like out there somewhere.

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

thank you everyone!!! i bypassed the almonds for now, but thank you kevlar for that link—i might just do that.