Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Fresh by Sergei & Valya Boutenko

WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I now own the book! It’s great. Ask me anything. Here’s the review/chapters below.

About this Book

Cookbooks need not

Comments

• Raw_ChocoholicRaw_Chocoholic Raw Newbie

Any favorite recipes? I tried the chimp salad and the Thai cucumber one. Both were excellent.

• chriscarltonchriscarlton Raw Newbie

Wow, I have to have it. I will order it! Thanks!!! I love Sergei and Valya 2 beautiful people. Anything I learn from them will only make my light shine brighter I am sure.

Lovebows, Chris

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Oh wow we got to get this one. I love Sergei and Valya. I have their book Eating without heating it is brilliant, the recipes are so easy, simple and tasty. They must get their talent for writing from their wonderful Mum Victoria.

Thanks for posting I had no idea they had a book out.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Simple and tasty describes this book perfectly! I can’t wait to try these recipes: chia seed crackers, croutons, zucchini chips, jicama jerky, strawberry sun tea, gogi bar, cashew cookie bar, coconut cream pie, gooseberry cheesecake, crispy pumpkin seeds crispy trail mix, chili, dill burgers, thai sauce, unchicken noodle soup, sweet and sour coconut truffles.

So far, I’ve made gorilla burgers and tiny pizzas (which i especially like the sauce and cheese). Half the recipes in the book have 2 to 6 ingredients and can be whipped up in 10 minutes (plus dehydration time for some things). Only a little soaking is required for a couple recipes, almost no advance prep needed for most things. The dinner entrees and soups tend to have 6 to 10 ingredients, but they’re still very simple. Most ingredients in the book are common raw ingredients… veg/fruit/raw nuts. Most veg/fruit are at a lot of grocers.. only a few recipes use unusual things (gooseberries/pomegranate). Nuts and seeds are used in many of the recipes.. i’d say that nuts/seeds are in 60% of the non-drink recipes. But they’re not a main ingredient, there are plenty of fruits/veg in the recipes, so they don’t sound too heavy. You could probably substitute seeds for nuts if you’re on a nut free diet.

I can’t wait to make raw herb tea, jassmine-mint infused water, rose infused water. Fantastic!

Check out amazon, or buy from them directly:

Raw Family

Amazon

• Thanks for the review. I think I will purchase this book! I have never purchased a raw book, but since this one is by the Boutenkos, and has a wild section and a marinated section I’ve just gotta have it! Plus, these people are not off on the deep end with being so pushy with super foods! Not that super foods are bad, just that I feel like I can find super foods in my own back yard if I get more info! I am wanting to learn more about wild food.

Do you have any other books to recomend? The only raw food book I have read so far is eat smart, eat raw. I have some other books on order at the library, though.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

gorawmom – You might check out “Living on Live Food” by Alissa Cohen – I haven’t read it all or tried the recipes yet, but I like her attitude & approach – all raw, but it shouldn’t consume all your time or be too complicated.

Winona – I want the book now! Thanks for posting this info. :)

• I second “Living on Live Food” because that’s the book I’ve been working from pretty exclusively. But I’ve been thinking I need to branch out and this new book sounds great. I’m always looking for recipes that don’t require a dehydrator because I haven’t invested yet!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I like Ani Phyo’s “Ani’s Kitchen”. Rhio “Hooked on Raw” Sergei and Valya “Eating without heating” Chad Sarno “Vital Creations” – the guy is a genuis with flavour

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

i own rawvolution. it has gorgeous pictures. The recipes sound like they’d take 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. i haven’t made anything from it yet, but the recipes look creative and good. it’s always fun to have pictures – very inspiring.

The review: From Imaginative new dishes like Cactus Salad, Onion Bread, and Spirulina Pie, to tantalizing variations on everything from pizza, tacos, and cookies, to the signature “Big Matt with Cheese,” Amsden’s mouthwatering recipes feature soups, sauces, salads, appetizers, entrees, and desserts.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

“Hooked on Raw” – YEAH! That is the first one I bought, and it has quite a variety. I use it a lot more now that I have a dehydrator & a juicer that will make bread doughs.

• Oh, and another thing that I think would be interesting is the section on how spices help to bring out certain flavors. My son and I are interested in this. Maybe Vital Creations would be a good one for that too? As Zoe says -Chad Sarno

• Rawvolution is my favourite uncook book so far….i love the chili and onion bread. i love having Raw Food Real World but don’t cook from it often because the recipes can be a little complicated.

I just got Fresh and haven’t made anything from it yet. Nothing is super inspiring me but i have to give it some more attention.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Thanks Winona! I just ordered that and Matthew Kenney’s new book.

I also love some of the recipes in Rawvolution – especially the hummus and tabouli, I make them constantly. Love the onion bread too.

I’m on the Master Cleanse right now and am very excited to have new inspiration waiting for me when I’m done!

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

How do you make sun tea? do you soak fresh leaves (like peppermint) in the sun for 8 hours or do you soak actual tea bags?

• Rachel_akiko, there is a recipe for sunt tea on this site. and it is very good

• greeniegreenie Raw Newbie

Zoe,

Chad Sarno’s website is amazing. But his 70-page book, Vital Creations, lists for $18.95 and costs over $12 to ship. Do you know another place to get it? I can’t find it on Amazon.com.

Never mind, I found it here: http://rawfoodinfo.com/

There’s an excellent review here (http://www.vegetarianbaby.com/books/vitalcreati…) that convinced me to buy it. I have so many raw cookbooks – so many recipes, so little time. But this review explains his book is like a workbook that shows you the principles to use to create your own recipes. As well as 64 amazing recipes. It sounds like a practical and fresh approach. Can’t wait for it to come. Thank you SO MUCH Zoe for mentioning this book. I never heard of it before.

BUT! Man, am I getting HUNGRY! I’ve gotta stop hanging out here right now – I’m on day 8 of a Master Cleanse. This is not the time to be reading about food.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Yeah, I saw their book at Borders. I was surprised. The cover looks nice too. Looks like a good book. But, I didn’t get it… I got a juice fasting book instead.