Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Green Bags ??

https://www.greenbags.com/?cid=371855

What do you think? good investment, scam? has anyone tried them?

Comments

• Mami, I bought them and would go with “scam”. I found no difference between putting stuff in the bags and putting carefully wrapped produce in the vegetable crisper of my refrigerator. The bananas I left in the bag on the kitchen counter turned just as spotted and brown with the bags as without. Just more plastic to poison the environment. Don’t bother.

• i would disagree I think they do actually make a little bit of a difference with apples and oranges (4 some reason bananas are strangely different)

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

We have some of these too – bad thing is I forget to use them! But I have heard several people I know that use them say they make a difference. I think you need to put your stuff in they when it is still in good condition – if it is already rotting and going bad, they aren’t going to work.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I used them with greens and found a big diference.

• kevin7197kevin7197 Raw Newbie

Definitely a good product. My produce stays fresh MUCH longer with these bags!

• I’ve been putting all my fruits and veggies in sealable tupperware containers (the kind with the “latches” on the edge of the lids) and then in the fridge, just on the shelves, and found they last WAY longer than leaving them in plastic bags or putting them the “crisper” drawers. I even have two giant containers and when I buy lettuce, chard or kale I separate all the leaves and stick them all in the big containers – they last for days and are just the same freshness as when I buy them – and when I want them I can just take out the number of leaves I want.

• Ughh 50/50 split I want to purchase these from bed bath and beyond only for my green leafy veggies the other stuff I can deal with… Is the consensus here that they work or what..

Kevin I know me and you but heads on a lot of things but I also no that you don’t just buy products foolishly so can I purchase these and send you the bill if they don’t work .

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

my produce never lasts long enough to go bad anymore!!! if they were biodegradable I could consider it. i recycle my bags and use biobags.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I use these bags, bought them at my local whole foods store so saved S&H… I have had nothing but GREAT luck with them… Today I ate strawberries the were perfect from a week and a half ago… My greens last two to three times longer in these bags… I have only used them in the refrigerator, have not tried them out on the counter so no help there… Oh yes I have bell peppers in a bag, and I bought them earily May and tomorrow is June 1… I opened the bag tonight for my salad and I made cheese again to wrap with a collard leaf fresh from my garden… That’s at least a month… Pretty good don’t you think???

• Waterbaby- I just bought two boxes of these bags plus my mother bought me a box, I tried them today with my strawberries and within 2 hours my strawberries were turned into mush. They were dry when I put them in there and I had them in the refrigerator what am I doing wrong.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Ardesmond2~ Are yours the Debbie Meyers brand??? This is what I do… I soak my berries in the vinegar, soda, GSE 30 mins to an hour, then let them sit in the drainer… When dry, I place the whole berries including the caps, into the green bag, squeeze out all the air twist it closed and place them in the refrigerator…

Are you putting them in the bag in prime condition as well as dry? Are you removing all the air from the bag before closing? If so, I just don’t know… Sorry!!!

• hmmmm remove all the air maybe this is where i am missing it….. thanks

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

from berries to mush in 2 hours!!!

haha sounds like green bags has a new slogan. yipes! tell us more ardesmond, once you experiment. i agree with greg about putting all foods in sealing plastic containers. for greens, i don’t use food containers – i use those larger, long storage containers (ones you’d buy to keep knick-knacks in) and i decided to use them for greens – perfect! I can fit a whole head of kale/swiss chard/etc in there. it helps not to wash produce first, or keep a paper towel in there, or dry em first.

thanks for the tip greg!! i hadn’t tried keeping fruits in sealable containers, i bet this will work. wohoo!

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I usually just wash lettuce or other, air dry thoroughly, then put into paper towel lined glass tupperware. I rarely have things rot quickly this way.

• Well so far so good I still have not tried to put my strawberries in these bags again but they are keeping my green onions, lettuce, and other greens quiet nicely. I will have to see what everything looks like at the end of the month.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Avocados, mangos, greens, bananas, peaches – so far it has worked on EVERYTHING. Saved me a lot of money and gives me the peace of mind of being able to buy fruit that are already ripe at the store. Actually, I had to take my mangos and some of my bananas and kiwis OUT out the bag yesterday and today because I ran out of ripe pieces of these fruit and the green bags slow the ripening soooo much. Bananas used to go from green to yellow in 3 days, now it is 4-5.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Avocados, mangos, greens, bananas, peaches – so far it has worked on EVERYTHING. Saved me a lot of money and gives me the peace of mind of being able to buy fruit that are already ripe at the store. Actually, I had to take my mangos and some of my bananas and kiwis OUT out the bag yesterday and today because I ran out of ripe pieces of these fruit and the green bags slow the ripening soooo much. Bananas used to go from green to yellow in 3 days, now it is 4-5.

• I can say the are lovely for the avocados yessss sirrrrr