Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Juice Feasting without organic - Is it worth it?

Well, I’ve been doing a lot of research concerning juice feasting over the last month or so and had decided to take the leap and start my juice feast on June first(tomorrow!!). I got my juicer and was ready to go…until today when I went to buy my produce at the nearby Food Co-op. I had never been there before (unfortunately I have to eat mostly non-organic produce because of a very low budget) and was shocked to see how HIGH the prices were. I knew they would by higher, but WOW! Needless to say, I can not afford to buy enough organic produce to supply me with 5-6 quarts of juice a day for 92 days. I think I may be able to pull off buying my greens and carrots organic, but definitely not the fruit. Do you think it is still worth doing the juice feast or am I just hurting my body with concentrated pesticides? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Comments

• This is a decision I would recommend you make on your own. Juice feasting would definitely help your body in innumerable ways, but there could be some dangers from those pesticides.

This site might help you out: http://www.deliciousorganics.com/Controversies/... . It lists the fruits/vegetables that contain the most pesticides and definitely should be bought organic. You could probably buy only the produce listed on that site organic, and buy anything else conventionally grown and still be okay.

Just something to help :).

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

rishi – Thanks! I have been wanting that list again, but I didn’t know where to look :) That list is how I get by eating raw on a low budget!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

conventional produce has a lot less nutrients because of the depleted soils. it’s sad. can you get involved with a csa or u-pick nearby? produce is still expensive, but it should get better once june hits. you might want to wait and see.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

Man! I just looked at the list, and now I don’t know if I should say thanks or not :( I was thinking of the top 10 list, & this one has a lot more – oh, well. I HAVE been wanting to know what more I can do for my health! :)

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

ok. the issue with juicing conventional vs. organic has more to do with nutrients (as bitt said) than it does with chemicals.

i have read from the “father of juicing” (norman walker) that pesticides, and all that jazz attach themselves to the fiber of your fruits and veggies. so as long as you strain your juice through a nut mylk bag you should be fine pesticide-wise.

also, carrots provide sweetness. fruit juices aren’t that great for you anyway. if you are looking for affordable citrus, i recommend trader joe’s. great prices on organic citrus.

happy feasting!

• Thank you everyone for your replies. rishi- that list will definitely be of help to me bitt – what is csa? im sure i could google it :) would love to look into it.i’ll keep my fingers crossed for lower prices this June too pianissima – thank you for the information. that’s definitely very helpful to know. although i don’t have any nut mylk bags as of yet, i’ll be looking for some soon. Thanks again everyone. I’ll begin my juice feast tomorrow, nonorganic produce and all! It is much better than my present diet anyhow and I will hopefully see some health benefits despite not juicing all organic produce.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

CSA= community supported agriculture. you get a share of produce a week from a local farm. they are a good deal but you don’t always choose what is in it.

good luck in the juice feast. if you are looking for nutrient-dense greens, beet greens and kale are tops. parsley is also very good for you and is usually cheap. celery produces a lot of juice so it would be a good deal.

• Thanks bitt! I’ll be looking to see if my area has one.

oh, you can just use a regular fine mesh strainer… this is just so you get ALL the fiber out. (even a tea ball will work).

also, it’s watermelon season. that is one large watery fruit that is perfect for juicing. you can buy them organic at whole foods for 7.99 and it will last for ages. you can juice the skin too.